• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crank, no start after replacing 2 CKP sensors- Fuel issue?

On 1/19/2020 at 8:31 PM, gsr46r said:

Well, got it running!! It was the camshaft position sensor. Allow me to explain.

Idk what I spun the other night, but I believe it was the gear that the starter connects to. I was running on 4 hrs sleep and was rushing so the mechanic could pick up his son. I went back this morning to look at the tone wheel, and it wouldn't budge. I had my gf spin my crank, uh, i mean my trucks crank, using a 15/16 on the alternator. The tone wheel moved then and almost ate a screwdriver that I stuck through the CKP sensor's hole.

After an difficult battle, I removed and replaced the cam sensor. I reinstalled the intake horn, APPS, CKP sensor and starter. I tried to start the truck, and it didn't start. But, I noticed 200 RPM's. I got the check gauges light, so I connected jumper cables to my '05, and cranked it. After making the gasping sound, the truck fired up!

My issue must be an anomaly with 2000 cummins having both cam and cranshaft position sensors.

After I got it hooked up and running, I noticed a couple things I need help with:

-I have a fuel leak coming from above the starter. Drops of fuel pool below the starter. I am wondering if there's a loose connection somewhere by the lift pump. This started after I removed the starter, so it's most likely in that area.

I noticed my truck doesn't have anything attached to the fuel filter housing drain plug and other trucks do. There's nothing leaking from there, though.

-Name this hose- I attached a video- If you watch the video, you can hear my truck running! Note- I did tighten the connection that was leaking in the video (lift pump to injection pump). I accidentally removed what I think is a vacuum hose. Any idea where this goes? (at 00:34 in video)

Thank you again for the help troubleshooting. 

Looks like the vacuum line that goes to rear of the crank case? 

Edited by ColoradoColt

Are your HVAC vents working properly? Looks like rhe main vacuum line fron the vacuum pump to the manifold on the firewall. But if its not connected nothing vacuum operated would be working. I dont have one that runs to the rear of the crank case.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Are your HVAC vents working properly? Looks like rhe main vacuum line fron the vacuum pump to the manifold on the firewall. But if its not connected nothing vacuum operated would be working. I dont have one that runs to the rear of the crank case.

Mine does, came disconnected one time and I noticed excessive oil coming from the vent tube. Couldn’t figure out why until I saw one day it was disconnected.

must help in the ventilation process? I have an 01 though 

1 hour ago, ColoradoColt said:

Mine does, came disconnected one time and I noticed excessive oil coming from the vent tube. Couldn’t figure out why until I saw one day it was disconnected.

must help in the ventilation process? I have an 01 though 

What does yours attach to at the back of the crank case? Mine came with one line off the pump to the manifold and I added another later for my exhaust brake.

If the vacumm line comes loose the vacuum pump pumps air into the crank case instead pullig vacuum on the system and it goes out the vent along with oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the responses. I will investigate the vacuum line more next time I look at it.  I just ordered a new (used) harness that was from a wrecked truck that was running. My dad told me I am crazy to put more money into this truck, but I am going to sneak (budget) a part every month or so. I messaged this dude on youtube who had a similar problem and his truck is still sitting after a year, and I don't want to be in that position.

I also gotta get the screw out of the ECM. In a month or so, I will bring the ecm to the repair shop. Hopefully if the ecm is good, they at least have a new 50 pin male connector sans the busted hex bolt.

I think the new harness will fix at least 50 percent of problem. I think the ECM was fine, but it looks like I gotta fix it now thanks to the screw.

I didn't expect these problems when I started the project, but am hoping my work on this will make me a better mechanic. I've learned a lot about electrical testing, scanning and hall effect sensors. When this truck ran, it was fun. It even drove better than my 2005. Hopefully it will run again and be reliable. Maybe I'm just dreaming.