• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Headlight upgrade problems.

I had the same issue on my truck after upgrading my lights to retroshop lights.  I had to swap the pins around in the socket for the headlight plug.  What I did was pulled all 3 pins out of the plug (headlight side, not the truck side) and plug them into the other socket and turn on lights and see, repeat till the headlights act as they should.  Do a quick Google or YouTube search on the subject.  Lots of articles and videos out there to help you out.  Has something to do with the difference between 9004 and 9007 sockets.

Well I watched a vid that told me to swap purple wire with white stripe and orange wire with red stripe around on the truck plug. But that still didn't help. Can't do it with the headlight plug cuz the pins are molded into the dang plug. But I'm gonna have to have play with the pins on the truck side right????

If they're molded in, then you'll have to change them on the truck side.  The kit I bought for HIDs, I could change it on the light side.

I believe this is correct:

https://headlightreviews.com/9004-9007-wiring-difference/

Towards the middle of the webpage there's a view from the back of the plugs, if that helps more.

https://carhidkits.com/hid-kit-installation-guide/

Got another problem, these suckers are so bright it is literally impossible to aim them at 25'. Got them as low as they go, watched plenty of videos and there is no definitive line from my lights on the wall to really go off of. Cheap aftermarket headlights.  Lol. ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Have you stood out infront of the truck to see how scattered the light is? If it is blinding you it is every body else.

I just put some LED's in mine in different housing with pretty good results.

20191226_134511.jpg.1a03be5f153451508cbfac631390cf51.jpg

I looked for housings with much less reflector in them. I figured these would concentrate light in a beam better. Just my gut feeling. 

Here is the pattern from about 40'. 

20191226_180905.jpg.f4333f3468882ab4c30b0f2cc0ce3f8f.jpg

I am no lighting engineer by any means just a gut feeling like I said before. The LED's make a difference too they are not all created equal. I still got alot to learn but the combo l have is working but still some room for improvement

The housings l used were about as cheap as I could find with the smaller reflector.  $65 as l remember and the bulbs were about $35. I did'nt want to put much money in them without knowing how they were going to work. Dont even know what brand the housings were.

• Owner

I got my LED bulbs from SuperBrightLEDS.com. The bulb comes with adjustable collar to more the bulb in different positions so to get the light correct for the application of reflector housing. 

15820376858015174853431994359226.jpg

Remove the small Allen screw and twist the bulb to align.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1