• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1999 2500, 4X4 auto stock... 147K, inherit from Step Dad. Truck sat for about 4 yrs, monthly starting.PacBrake isnt actuating. I can assume it could have frozen (rusted linkage) or a relax/vaccuum issue. Ideas to check? I'm getting light on the powered dash switch, so its alittle more than a grounding issue. Can I disconnect linkage and action it loose?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a PacBrake on my truck, a couple of years ago I hadn't used the brake for quite a while and the butterfly froze in the open position. I had to take the elbow with the butterfly off and disassemble it as far as I could. I removed the butterfly plate but couldn't get the screw on the housing loose to get the shaft out. I ended up soaking the shaft and elbow in deep creep seafoam for three days before I was able to work it loose with a large channel lock pliers. I bought some of the synthetic lube from PacBrake and use it on a regular basis as well as use the brake often to keep it loose and working.You should be able to (with the truck shut off) move the actuator arm on the butterfly shaft with a pliers if it is not frozen. Two other problems that can occur with these brakes: one dirt can stick the electronic solenoid vacuum controller valve that mounts on the intake horn mounting bolt. The solenoid has a button on the end that can be pushed in with the truck running to test the operation of the valve and will actuate the brake vacuum cylinder that operates the butterfly. If it don't actuate the cylinder then either the solenoid electronic component don't work or isn't getting power. The other common failure is the vacuum cylinder is leaking and won't hold a vacuum on the internal piston seal when the brake is actuated. In this case the cylinder must be replaced with a new one from PacBrake it is not rebuild able.If you call PacBrake the techs will email cleaning instructions for the solenoid valve it is quite sensitive as to how it is cleaned without damaging it.