• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I am having a problem with my a/c compressor guys , On my way back from a trip my a/c when out and I check the fuse box because I noticed that the compressor wasn't engaging so sure thing the a/c clutch fuse was blown so I replaced it and it was back on and then about two hours later of driving the fuse when out again so any idea of what I should check for or fix? also I have been noticing that sometimes the carpet of the front passenger to be wet and just the place were you put your feet not the upper part and it doesn't smell like antifreeze I thought it was water from the rain but no its also there when it hasnt rain so any ideas on that ?Thanks !

Check the wiring harness. Seems to me I have heard of a chafing problem close to the compressor. For your water problem, locate the drain out on the firewall and use a shop vac to suck the crud out of it. If you blow air in or just use a wire then the slime will plug it up real quick on you.Tom

Check the wiring harness. Seems to me I have heard of a chafing problem close to the compressor. For your water problem, locate the drain out on the firewall and use a shop vac to suck the crud out of it. If you blow air in or just use a wire then the slime will plug it up real quick on you. Tom

You mean this wire? I don't have a clue why mine hasn't split in two.

post-45-138698169213_thumb.jpg

I would begin by checking the A/C Clutch Relay here is an except from section 24-17 in the service manual:Relay TestThe compressor clutch relay (Fig. 16) is located inthe Power Distribution Center (PDC). Refer to thePDC label for relay identification and location.Remove the relay from the PDC to perform the fol-lowing tests:(1) A relay in the de-energized position shouldhave continuity between terminals 87A and 30, andno continuity between terminals 87 and 30. If OK, goto Step 2. If not OK, replace the faulty relay.(2) Resistance between terminals 85 and 86 (elec-tromagnet) should be 75 Ϯ 5 ohms. If OK, go to Step3. If not OK, replace the faulty relay.(3) Connect a battery to terminals 85 and 86.There should now be continuity between terminals30 and 87, and no continuity between terminals 87Aand 30. If OK, see the Relay Circuit Test below. If notOK, replace the faulty relay.Also check for any shorts in any of the wiring.

• Like 1

Ok so I checked the wires that are close to the a/c compressor and they look good no tears and I also went and bought a new relay and tested it out and nope it doesn't change any so I figure the old one was good and put it back the only thing now that it does do is that it blow the ac fuse faster like as soon as I turn the ac on and the first time it did it lasted a for about 2 or 3 hrs before it blew it. so what do you guys think should I take the ac compressor out and if I due any tips on how to do it best ? do I loose all the freon when I take it off? thanks for all yall's help.

If your going to do it yourself you'll lose all the freon,I don't think you can get bearings just a complete compressor should replace the drier while your at it total for parts and freon about $300.you'll need to also buy a set of A/C disconnect tools(plastic rings to unlock the springs in hose fitting at the drier).

The bearings are the only thing that really goes out on the whole compressor so you can take it apart and buy a new bearing for $5. I learned that after paying $120 for a new clutch assembly on a guys f150.

So do you think is better to just replace the bearings ? is it hard to do the replacement of the bearings and tips on how to do the job? and also somebody also mentioned that if I replace the compressor I should replace the drier is that right ? thanks!

I'm not much of an A/C guy so they probably know better on that part. I just know the bearings are standard cheapos you can get anywhere.

You just press them out and press in a new one.

--- Update to the previous post...

You should probably make sure it is the bearing first.

• Like 1

I'm not much of an A/C guy so they probably know better on that part. I just know the bearings are standard cheapos you can get anywhere.

You just press them out and press in a new one.

--- Update to the previous post...

You should probably make sure it is the bearing first.

Let me know where you find the bearings(web site, part# etc.),when mine went out i searched all over,the only thing i could find was a complete compressor. the days of rebuilding a lot of stuff(i.e. wheel cyls,master cyls,A/C compressors) are almost gone just can find the repair parts. Heck here in Omaha only a few REAL Machine Shops left.

I got to thinking about it a little more and that field coil is probably burned up, it was on the f150 too. So you might end up having to get a whole new clutch assembly. You really just need to take it all off and look at it, thats the only way to really know what the issue is. As for those bearings, do you have any measurements on them? If not I will measure mine tomorrow, already got it half torn apart.