• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help identifying this plug

Looking to identify where this plug is supposed to go the wire colors are Yellow/Blue, Yellow/Green, Black/White. It's located next to the ECM on the right side of the motor as you face the truck. just above the engine mounted fuel pump.IMG_1681.JPEG.c2ff009dac4236668701a07ab860b87e.JPEG

I unplugged it from a pigtail system which is in the attached photos. There are zero markings as to what this box is/does, the small tag on the wire loom is not legible the only thing I can pick out on it is "4-02tdw". Any help would be appreciated, I reconnected the cannot plug to the left of the one in question as well that's depicted in the first photo. This was also connected to the system in box in question.

IMG_1682.JPEG.e7a4fc75eb158c9552da35ad660c8c29.JPEG

IMG_1680.JPEG.4beadbba28a6ff660bf6da5fc054bc69.JPEGCheers 

Edited by jtrakel

Sure looks like a MAP sensor adapter to me. Some year trucks used an oval sensor while others were round, and tuner box manufacturers make adapters to fit whichever you need. That box to me looks like a Quadzilla XZT to me. That's a little 3 position switch on the end of the gray wire right?

3 minutes ago, dave110 said:

Sure looks like a MAP sensor adapter to me. Some year trucks used an oval sensor while others were round, and tuner box manufacturers make adapters to fit whichever you need. That box to me looks like a Quadzilla XZT to me. That's a little 3 position switch on the end of the gray wire right?

@dave110 Yes it's a small 3 position switch connected to the grey wire. I was leaning towards the connector being some sort of data link but I cannot find anywhere to plug it into on the truck. Is this one of the sensors that is supposed to have a dummy plug until its needed?

Edited by jtrakel

Data link is not used unless needed and yes I do believe mine had a mating dummy plug to protect it from the elements. Data link plug is kinda hard to spot. It's on the drivers side of the engine up front like around the steering box area below the battery. Somewhere in that general area. The Quad box plugs into the data link plug and into the MAP sensor

@dave110 I was looking around the front of the motor a bunch and did not see a sensor, the one in question is all the way in the back near the fire wall and directly behind the fuel filter. Maybe its just in a different spot from previous owner?

Data link PLUG is in the front of the engine. Mine is triangular in shape. Your year may be different. MAP SENSOR is what is beside the ECM above the lift pump. The wiring harness on the tuning box T's into the MAP wiring. In other words you unplug the factory plug from the MAP, plug the Quad wiring into the MAP, then plug the factory wire into the other end of the Quad T adapter. This way the Quad can intercept the signal going from the MAP to the engine computer and modify it as it sees fit. Hope I didn't confuse you. My typing aint so good.

That is the data link connector. My comp is plugged into it. Ismthat the Map sensor I see connected right beside it? Or is that the IAT?

My 02 came oe with with a MAP they quit making. When I replaced it came with an adapter pigtail. The connetors are all the same shape, oval, but the new senor's pin out is different. The pig tail just makes the pinout match the OE connector. I can still plug the OE harnes into the MAP sensor but wires would be crossed.

I should add that the data link connector is not plugged into anything from the factory. There is a purpose for it but l have long forgotten what it is.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

Sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase. My Data link connector is definately in the front of the engine where I described, not back at the fuel filter. My Comp is also plugged into it, as was my XZT+. Maybe my trucks a one off. Or difference in years. Sorry for the confusion.

23 minutes ago, dave110 said:

Sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase. My Data link connector is definately in the front of the engine where I described, not back at the fuel filter. My Comp is also plugged into it, as was my XZT+. Maybe my trucks a one off. Or difference in years. Sorry for the confusion.

Pretty sure it is a difference in years throwing things off. It has bit me before. Since I dont work on others it is hard to know the differences between them. The  01 and 02 share a lot of similarities but still not the same thru the whole 01 run.

Thanks for all the help on this everyone! I’ve removed the tuner at this point and the truck runs but only for a few minutes before the truck seems to surge/misfire and then die. Happens at idle and while just rolling down the street with little to no accelerator pedal pressed under below 10mph (haven’t been able to go faster).

Im going to throw the tuner back on tomorrow first thing in the morning to see if it corrects itself and go from there. 

Edited by jtrakel

1 hour ago, jtrakel said:

Thanks for all the help on this everyone! I’ve removed the tuner at this point and the truck runs but only for a few minutes before the truck seems to surge/misfire and then die. Happens at idle and while just rolling down the street with little to no accelerator pedal pressed under below 10mph (haven’t been able to go faster).

Im going to throw the tuner back on tomorrow first thing in the morning to see if it corrects itself and go from there. 

Did you plug the OE harness into the MAP sensor? If it is the newer sensor I believe you need the little pig tail connector in your photo between the 2. Just a hunch.

1 minute ago, dripley said:

Did you plug the OE harness into the MAP sensor? If it is the newer sensor I believe you need the little pig tail connector in your photo between the 2. Just a hunch.

I plugged the OE harness directly into the MAP sensor in the side of the block. I will have to try the pig tail tomorrow before reinstalling the entire system again. Thank you for the idea!

10 hours ago, dripley said:

let us know. Not sure what happens with the wires crossed.

@dripley Placing the pigtails back into the system has rectified the issue!!! Next up W-T mod and replace the APPS with a TIMBO one from the store. Thanks again to everyone for all the help, this will not be the last time I say thank you as I'm sure many questions are yet to come.

@dripley So it was running pretty good took it for a quick spin before replacing the water pump (it was leaking) and while letting it warm up to idle this started happening, by the time I got to the key it died on me. I was able to restart it and it came back a again after a few minutes, this is very similar to what was happening yesterday before you suggested placing those pigtails back. Any suggestions?

I'm getting closer to starting the W-T mod, would getting this done fix something like this and I've already ordered the TIMBO APPS sensor today. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, dripley said:

I would check for any trouble codes first. Could be fuel or electronics. Do you know what or if any other modifations have been made to the truck? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

@dripley I just check and have P1693 "Reductant Injection Valve Circuit High - Negative Side". Currently doing some research into that code, any ideas?. As far as other modifications the only thing left that I've noticed is a APPS noise isolator which I just noticed a few hours ago, I plan to remove this as well unless someone thinks its good to have it remain in place.

I ran the truck for a few minutes while messing with my code reader and it did not have the issue I took a video of earlier, maybe it needs to run for a certain time before it acts up. Side note I also noticed yesterday a broken vacuum line that goes down to the V44 with a check valve up on the fire wall which I replaced before having these issues.

Edited by jtrakel

20 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

1693 is not a pump code, it is just a code saying you have another code in the other computer.  

Any recommendations on a scanner that will actually read deeper into the ECM/PCM? I have a Harbor Freight Zurich ZR15 but it will only pick  up the aforementioned code.

Edited by jtrakel