• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So, to all,of you, the question of the day is this. Do I tear apart my 2000 24V to do the tab fix? of do I not have an issue with a 2000 as MnTom suggests???I am all for it if it needs to be done but that being said it is still a lot of work if done needlessly.........So is there anyone who has had this issue KDP with a 2000 CTD? That will answer the question in my mind anyway. Thanks to all

I submitted the repair procedure in the the Downloads section under "other documents" but you will have to wait until Michael looks at it before it is visible. It is for a 12V but should apply to early 24V if that is what you have. Has a great description and very good pictures of pulling the camshaft. There is a heat method of pulling the cam gear off the cam instead of removing the whole cam but that is usually reserved for experienced Cummins mechanics. The gear is heat treated for hardness so one has to be careful with a torch.

So I guess I should tear off the cover ect and perform the tab fix anyway, as there is no clear answer to the question as to if the 200 needs it eh??My case is not broken as yet, so I do not need to worry about heating the camshaft ect as I will not be needing to remove the case. Thx

I *think* there have been sparse reports of even the later year 24v's having issues, very rare though. That is why nobody is giving you a clear answer, they might not need it but then the next day it will break and you will be another rare victim and you will be hunting us all down for telling you not to do it :lol:

So I guess I should tear off the cover ect and perform the tab fix anyway, as there is no clear answer to the question as to if the 200 needs it eh?? My case is not broken as yet, so I do not need to worry about heating the camshaft ect as I will not be needing to remove the case. Thx

I recently replaced my vp44, removed the timing cover when I did it I inspected the dowel in question on my 2002 model I even used a center punch to check for any problems and found none on mine so I left it alone.

Thx to all, you know what really SUCKS about this whole timing case issue it--and I shouldn't admit this here but oh well--I replaced my VP44 1 month ago, and knew about the KDP prior, I must have had a brain fart and not remembered it at the time, I was almost there. Had the rad out and everything, would have been easier to do it then eh???