• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Buried my truck..

• Owner

Well gang...I finally did it good... I managed to get out to the forest and get a load of firewood... But by the time I get back everyone is picking my pile apart so I went deep into the woods to work my way back out. Well I came across a wonderful spruce tree. It had rotted out at the stump and fell over. Well there was no way to pull it to the road since it had fell between about 5-6 trees. So I figure I would back down to it. During the time I back down I notice I had compressed the ground slightly but didn't think any more about it since where I parked it was sitting just fine. Well wel cut the whole tree up into 16 inch rounds and started loading. We watch the ground closely but in never changed during the loading process. Well we got loaded up and got tools up on top... Then I started to pull foreward and BAM! I sunk in less the 2 feet. It was like the ground opened up and my truck fell in. (D'Oh!). So naturally after all the loading we unloaded the truck and tried again. Nope... It was up to the axles now. :rolleyes So I got smart and told my buddy to grab a block of wood and using the chainsaw to cut my wood blocks for my jack and for under the tires. Well about 1 hour later we got both rear tires jacked up and on top of wood blocks. Now I moved up to front which wasn't so bad and couldn't for the life of me get the jack under the front axle. I dug and push and shoved block under it but I just couldn't get the jack to lift the axle up. :mad Daylight was leaving so I threw in the towel. I look over my provisions I had in the truck... We both grab a big drink of fresh cool water and considered grabing the MRE but we didn't figure we would need it. But we made sure we had warm jackets and hats (since it had been raining). We proceeded to walk out on foot. About 5 miles of walking my buddy grabs my radio (Fire Dept issue) and figure he could get out... Surprised! He got the Fire Chief on the radio but the signal was really weak. So we walked another 1/2 mile or so and managed to get both the Fire Chief but another friend on the Fire Dept to answer! Wow! :wow So with our spirits lifted now we knew help was on the way. Well by the time we walked 6 miles they showed up... Trust me my feet were sore! We we drove back in there and would you believe it the Fire Chief's Ford PowerStroke was the one to pull me out... My buddy also showed up with his Dodge but he was only a 2WD truck... But his chain was the finally piece to the puzzle of pulling... Needless to say there is still a pile of firewood laying out there... LOLTHe Fire Chief (Dennis and his Wife Ruby) offer to go back up when we had time to help me bpack the firewood to my tire so it wouldn't be a loss... So hopefully on Monday I can get some help and I can get the load yet... Sorry no pics taken of this mess! :moon

Yea a few years back I was trying to chase some calves up to the barn for the night (The Coyotes had gotten a few that year). With my Toyota 4X4. I dropped one front tire in a hole and that popped one rear tire up off the ground. Well I couldn't get enough traction is the front and the power tire in the rear was off the ground. I could not go forward because I would have ended up in the creek. I had to call my buddy with his new chevy. He still brags about pulling me out and how stupid my truck looked with one tire up in the air stuck. Well after that I got posi in the rear and a locker in the front, Plus a winch that required a deep cycle battery and that required a high amp alternator. Never got stuck again. But now I have the dodge. I am set up with the box hitch front and rear plus the cables for the winch, but the guy I bought the truck from kept his winch. I better get a new winch before, I have to call my buddy again. He has a new chevy and he is already talking smack. :rolleyes

• Owner

What, no pictures!!! LOL LOL Sounds like something I'd try though!!!! :thumbsup Did you have your street tires on or your Cooper STT's??

As for tire I had my stock street tire on... :rolleyes

Yea a few years back I was trying to chase some calves up to the barn for the night (The Coyotes had gotten a few that year). With my Toyota 4X4. I dropped one front tire in a hole and that popped one rear tire up off the ground. Well I couldn't get enough traction is the front and the power tire in the rear was off the ground. I could not go forward because I would have ended up in the creek. I had to call my buddy with his new chevy. He still brags about pulling me out and how stupid my truck looked with one tire up in the air stuck. Well after that I got posi in the rear and a locker in the front, Plus a winch that required a deep cycle battery and that required a high amp alternator. Never got stuck again. But now I have the dodge. I am set up with the box hitch front and rear plus the cables for the winch, but the guy I bought the truck from kept his winch. I better get a new winch before, I have to call my buddy again. He has a new chevy and he is already talking smack. :rolleyes

Trust me I understand complete what you went through... I had done the same thing with my old 1972 Dodge Power Wagon and ended up digging out by hand and never had a shoevl, a jack, chains, etc... Trust me I still get ribbed for that day... :rolleyes

• 1 month later...

I did that years ago in my own !#$%&! back "lawn". I had backed the HD stock trail in the paddock gate to coax a mare into loading... after a couple of days of rain, she decided to get in. I fired up the 454, gently put it in gear (automatic) & the truck sank up to the axle. I left the !#$%&! mare in the trailer, jacked up the truck & laid planks all the way around the garage to the driveway... pulled the truck out with a come-along. Then went back & brought the trailer out with the come along too. I hope she enjoyed the ride cause after that, she was NOT coming outta that trailer until she arrived at the destination... At least I didn't have to walk far to get the tools!Russ

• 1 month later...

Loaned a neighbor from across the lake, my chainsaw. Said he needed a bigger one like mine to cut down a big dead tree. 3hrs later his wife calls me. Asks me if I could come over and help Russ, she thinks he's gotten himself in a situation and is worried about him. I get there, holy $h!t, hes got his truck tied to this humongous pine tree, the rear of the truck is already 2ft in the air ready for catapult. To make things worse, the tree is already almost cut all the way through and leaning/teetering over power lines and the road below. If it goes, the tree will fall across the road and power lines while launching his 1/2t dodge like a clay pigeon. Too make a long story short it turned into a community event, we saved everything with some luck and equipment, hey we even got cookies and coffee. Harry

• Owner

I'm not that dumb... LOL Or maybe... :confused:

But I did tie my Dodge to a tree... I was tempting to drag the bottom out like I've done some many times in the past...

Posted Image

But this particular day I pulled the tree over on my truck! 8|

Posted Image

Thankfully the bulk of the tree missed the truck but the stob didn't... The fallout of limbs and debris put a tons of little dents all over the truck. But thank gawd for full coverage insurance... :thumbsup

I have to admit, tree falling can be tricky. I have had a few go wrong also, but luckily nothing was in the way to get damaged. Ones that are close to the house or shop that need removal, I called in a professional. Your lucky on your truck, could've been worse. Back in 03' we survived the bad wildfire in San Diego. The aftermath was a mess, I spent a couple of days clearing/cutting up downed oak trees that were blocking roads, the thing you had to be careful with there, was the hidden hot coals that were buried under your feet, it was amazing how long the ground can stay hot after an intense fire. Harry

Guys, at least around my parts, I can usually wait for the "prevailing wind" to aid my "tree felling" escapades!!!! I've got a long rope and some "come alongs", and I can usually drop a tree almost on the very spot I want to hit. Granted Mike, most of my tree felling doesn't compare to the size of what you're cutting down, but still I'm real anal about tying off, proper notching and then proper back cutting!!!! I dunno.........maybe I'd surprise you or maybe I wouldn't with my "timber skills"!!! Hahahaha!!!! :smart