• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Torn between the two 6.7L's need opinions

Hello everyone,,

So I'm in the market for a new truck and my question is that my neighbor runs a 2011 Cummins with around 200k miles BUT he takes very very good care of his truck (it is his office so I don't blame him) and he is willing to sell it too me for a decent price around $23k I also found a 2012 6.7 powerstroke with 60k miles and it's priced at 33k. I'm just not sure which truck is going to be the most reliable. I do tow a large boat for half the year and I have a 25' flatdeck trailer that I don't haul as much any more but still use occasionally. What would you guys go with??

• Owner

Just remember at 100k to 150k miles the injectors should be consider for replacement. Not cheap either I see a lot of people ditching the truck right around this point because they don't want the injector replacement cost or just not know and performance is dropping and just ditch the problem so the new owner can deal with it. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Probably a bit of Cummins bias on here, but I really don't think you would go wrong with either truck. The Cummins is easier to work on when they break, but you shouldn't have to worry about either one having major issues engine wise for a good amount of time. Ford did a good job on the 6.7. 

Both suffer from the somewhat short lived common rail injectors, as Mr. Mopar said. 

The Cummins in that year should still be the DPF/EGR (assuming they are still in place) whereas the Ford uses the UREA (DEF) with the SCR thing, if that is important to you. It really isn't that big of a deal, most seem to use about 1/2 gallon per 1000 miles. It may or may not need servicing on the Cummins with that many miles. My 2012 has started throwing a NOx code every now and then, it does a lot of running around unloaded, people who work them more seem to have less issues.

How long do you plan on keeping the truck? Both should make 400-500k without much trouble, hot shots use both without much issue.

Edited by That Guy

• Owner

Just checked for new injectors from DAP is roughly $3,000.000 starting point or about $500.00 per injector. Injectors typically last about 100k to 150k miles. 

Don't assume just because it starts and runs well that they are not worn out. It only take 1 or 2 bad injectors to wipe out cylinders. My last one was 112k miles on the clock and owner attempted to drive from Homedale, ID to New Meadows, ID by the time her got back home the 5 and 6 cylinder rings where washed out no compression. Injectors stuck open, washed the rings out. It did not grow oil at all. It did not create any excessive black smoke either. 

3 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

For 23K I would buy the Ram and not look back. You need to give us more info on the trucks, just the year is not much. If I could afford it I would upgrade my 2nd gen. in an instant with a 4th gen.

Friend has a 2013 Longhorn..... I thought that heated seats were pretty cool, no. Cooled seats are life altering and worth every penny.

• Owner

Like myself I'm glad I never got a high line series 2nd gen after watching all the problems with heated seats, central timer issues, steering control issues. Like my 1996 Dodge with its broken seat motors. My 2002 was all manual and standard model so failures have been very low. 

I'm not convinced of the 4th gens yet after the amount of work I've done on some and fixing bad tuners, bad injectors, and other high dollar repairs. 

Hello everyone,,

So I'm in the market for a new truck and my question is that my neighbor runs a 2011 Cummins with around 200k miles BUT he takes very very good care of his truck (it is his office so I don't blame him) and he is willing to sell it too me for a decent price around $23k I also found a 2012 6.7 showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.cool/ powerstroke with 60k miles and it's priced at 33k. I'm just not sure which truck is going to be the most reliable. I do tow a large boat for half the year and I have a 25' flatdeck trailer that I don't haul as much any more but still use occasionally. What would you guys go with??

Now i got to know about it.

Thank you everyone,,

• Owner

2011 Cummins will need injectors right off if the own can prove that new injectors are already been done. That would be only way at that price. ($2,244 DAP price for Stock injectors)

2012 Ford I would do the same thing if they can prove new injectors have been installed recently then I would go for the price. ($2,800 DAP price for Stock Injectors)

Both trucks are coming up on injector change time. Both are common rail and both extremely expensive. Common rail injectors have roughly 100k to 150k miles. and need to be changed. Just remember the Ford 6.7L had way more junk in the way to even reach the valve covers so even labor is more expensive. Cummins is 2 cylinders less and right there on top. Just you have to pull all the fuel rail to get the crossover tubes out properly. Adds about extra hour compared to doing 2nd Gen injectors. Also changing injectors on Cummins you should write down the fuel trim codes on the injectors and what cylinder they went into. Then have the ECM flashed with new trim codes. Yup I had to to d this for a ECM replace on a 2012 Ram. 

Local kid bought a 6.7L Cummins own it for about a year and fought with it the whole time. Once I came to the picture it was the injectors wore out at 182k. He cheap'ed out and only replaced the one injector. MPG was not very good. So he sold to another gal because he didn't want the big price tag for injectors. Really common people selling the truck just as the injectors are starting to fail. 

Hence why I held on to my old 2nd Gen. I can change out the injectors for mere $400 to $500 for a set of 6 injectors. Even the 2020 Ram is only 370 to 410 HP listed. with just 7 x 0.010 injectors, smaller tires  245's, and Quadzilla I can out pull a new 2020 Ram truck right now. 417k miles and still rolling. Heck looking at the old VP44 they are cheap compared to 6.7L injectors. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man