• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Just bought a 2001 Dodge Cummins 5.9l

Hello everybody I appreciate any advice. I just purchased a 2001 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummings, This truck only has 95,000 miles on it in great condition but it hasn’t been driven very much in the last five years I am going to change oil, oil filter,  fuel filter anything else you recommend doing to it.  Also it gave me a  P0234 code Overboost. When I was on the freeway getting on it,  cleared the code it came back a few days later on the freeway again recommendations 

thanks zev

21 minutes ago, Zev f said:

Hello everybody I appreciate any advice. I just purchased a 2001 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummings, This truck only has 95,000 miles on it in great condition but it hasn’t been driven very much in the last five years I am going to change oil, oil filter,  fuel filter anything else you recommend doing to it.  Also it gave me a  P0234 code Overboost. When I was on the freeway getting on it,  cleared the code it came back a few days later on the freeway again recommendations 

thanks zev

Can you give us a bit more info on the truck such as any modifications that have done to it, like tuners or injectors or such? ,The 234 code could be quite simple with some more info.

As far as fluids, I would change them all. Start fresh with everything.

As far as I can tell the only thing aftermarket is a E brake system by Jacobs and MBRP  performance exhaust stacks besides that the truck is stock. It’s only had 2500 miles put on it in the last five years. 

6 speed manual transmission

Edited by Zev f

18 hours ago, dripley said:

Can you give us a bit more info on the truck such as any modifications that have done to it, like tuners or injectors or such? ,The 234 code could be quite simple with some more info.

As far as fluids, I would change them all. Start fresh with everything.

Original owner passed away, purchased truck from his family

We have a list of trouble codes in the articles section under 2nd gen 24v. Sorry but I cant link it. Just lookup the code and will have diagnostics for trouble shooting. I would think since the truck has sat so much the wastegate or actuator might just be stiff from sitting and holding closed to long. The stock should open around 18 to 20 psi. If the ECM sees 20+ psi to long it will set the code. If any part of linkage is stiff it might not be opening in time to stop that. You could oil the linkage and put some compressed air to it to work open some and see if that helps. The turbo is capable of well over the 20 psi to set the code. 

I would also take heed of what @CUMMINSDIESELPWR recomends. The stock fuel systems are not very robust for these trucks. What system to add depends on what you have in mind to do with the truck. And install a fuel pressure gauge. It is the safest way to know that your fuel system is operating properly.

The crankcase vent on the front of block will puke oil out on the radiator and clog it. There is an article about that very mod.

The list can go on and on. It is all dependant on what you want to do with the truck. It sounds like a gem to work with. Do you mind telling us what you paid for it? Just asking.

Thank you for your advice, this truck is a gem it is in amazing condition interior looks like a brand new truck, power everything and it all works, leather, Dash looks brand new, It drives great, pretty sure it was garage it’s whole life paint is in great condition. I paid $9,800

26 minutes ago, Zev f said:

Thank you for your advice, this truck is a gem it is in amazing condition interior looks like a brand new truck, power everything and it all works, leather, Dash looks brand new, It drives great, pretty sure it was garage it’s whole life paint is in great condition. I paid $9,800

You did get a deal there my friend. 

On 8/14/2020 at 7:29 PM, Zev f said:

How difficult are they to install?

Easier than installing an aftermarket radio, I'd say, for the electrical portion.  Drilling and tapping your exhaust manifold for EGT isn't too hard and that's possibly the most "complicated".  I have the ISSPRO EV2 gauges and really like them, including the directions for installation.