• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power steering pump

Well after 500k+ my power steering pump has started leaking. The steering and the brakes work fine, just loosing the fluid somewhere. Any body ever reseal their pump? The kits are cheap but they dont come with any bearings and I have to assume there some bearings in there some where. I can get new replacement for a 150 bucks, just cant decide which way to go.

Edited by JAG1

If you don't need the truck for a week, pull it apart and get the numbers off the bearings. Someone is bound to make them. From the diagram, it appears to be ball bearing. Being submerged in clean oil, they may not have much wear.

It is basically an unchanged design since the 60s. 

https://www.turbododge.com/threads/how-to-rebuild-the-saginaw-power-steering-pump.866354/

Edited by That Guy

I got a PS pump seal kit and a vac pump seal kit sent to me from Rockauto, removed both and separated them, the PS pump drive was badly worn on the drive segments and the seal path was grooved so I had to then order a complete pump which took another 7 days to get here, no big problem for you guys as you can just go to the parts store, no so here in the UK.

Also the new vac pump seal was that poorly made I reused the old one, it was a Dorman 904335 seal kit

4 hours ago, wil440 said:

I got a PS pump seal kit and a vac pump seal kit sent to me from Rockauto, removed both and separated them, the PS pump drive was badly worn on the drive segments and the seal path was grooved so I had to then order a complete pump which took another 7 days to get here, no big problem for you guys as you can just go to the parts store, no so here in the UK.

Also the new vac pump seal was that poorly made I reused the old one, it was a Dorman 904335 seal kit

The kits I am looking at are not Dorman. I resealed my vacuum pump about 3 years ago and it is still dry as bone. The PS pump was to but not any more. A new pump from RA is about 130 buck plus freight. But the old still works fine if it would just hold fluid. Decisions decisions.