Sign in to follow this  
volkswagon

How much horsepower?

I just got my truck home from getting the tranny rebuilt and am thinking it might be time to add some horses soon. How much can I add? The guy that built the tranny was saying I could add 50 horse but not more. Talked about the possibility of breaking shafts. I was hoping I could hop it up more than that. He changed up the valve body and put in a twin disc converter which he said was rated for 900 ft/lbs torque. How much power would you guys say I could add?

Yeah - he's probably being cautious - which is a good thing.Generally you will only break shafts (from what I have read as I havn't broken one) from *Boosted Launches*Hard TC lockups So if your not racing - and abusing it - I would think on a double TC and new clutch packs as long as you keep an eye on temps you should be good to around 400HP. Thats harder than it seems - most people think they have 400 don't. egme Stock 230+20HP for BHAF/2stroke/bigger exhuast etc (debateable again lets just go with it) +120HP for level 5 edge juice+10-20HP for injectors - lets say 20 So with a top chip and small injectors and mods I am at ~390 HP ....... but minus 15% in driveline and other inifficiencies.Probably around 330 HP. - So any chip would be god - just monitor your tranny temps and EGT's :) I really like the edge products. I hear good things about the adrenaline - and it has more power ........ but I had problems with the lower end products - zxt+ or whatever - and 180HP would start to concern me on tranny/boost/egt, head studs/ turbo etc - if I spent another $3-$4k [not going to happen] then an adrenaline with bigger injectors/turbo would be a greate way to get 500+HP :)

John your really close to me...

Stock 230 +20HP for BHAF/2stroke/bigger exhuast etc (debateable again lets just go with it) +120HP for level 5 edge juice +10-20HP for injectors - lets say 20

Straight pipe exhaust 3"/BHAF/2 Stroke +120HP for Level 5x5 Edge Comp +40 RV275 Injectors Last rolled Dyno was 2007 without the injectors 381/826 & 379/831 http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/dyno/dyno%20day.jpg

John your really close to me... Straight pipe exhaust 3"/BHAF/2 Stroke +120HP for Level 5x5 Edge Comp +40 RV275 Injectors Last rolled Dyno was 2007 without the injectors 381/826 & 379/831 http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/dyno/dyno%20day.jpg

Yeah wonder why ....... cause I'm building as you tell me - hahhaha Still a bit scared to put my truck on the dyno with all the issues I've had - sure that manual of yours could handle it better :) I must say the truck is starting to feel good on power as well as shifting/riding. Just need to get some confidence back in her :) Will be towing to NC or AZ in next couple weeks - see how she holds up :) Not expecting any issues. Then in JAN?FEB off to west coast. :thumbup2: