• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trac-Loc Clutch replacement

6 hours ago, Blueox01 said:

I think I'm going to just service it this time, all the gears, R&P/spiders look good. Trying to clean some of the sludge that has built up over the miles out, then have some Lucas SYN 75W-140 and Trans X LSD additive to go back in. I'm starting to wonder if my rear springs are causing the shudder/chatter I'm hearing, all the pads between the leafs are gone, I can see a slight ridge between leafs, I had ordered a new set of #8800 springs to install, going to see what that does..

20201229_122152[1].jpg

20201229_122236[1].jpg

20201229_122315[1].jpg

Where did you get the springs and how expensive are they?

7 hours ago, Blueox01 said:

https://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/

Originally $650  but with shipping during holidays still under $700

Did you get new u-bolts, if so, what size? What part number springs? The 34-1335HD appear to be what you have? Six leaf v/s oem 4 leaf. They are $225 each. Let us know how the ride is. They look beefy.

I went with 5/8's when I worked on my suspension. The original are kinda undersized and were rotten where they passed through the bottom axle clamp. It is a catch all for mud/water.

https://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/1994-2002-dodge-ram-2500/3500-2wd-8800-gvw-and-greater-heavy-duty-rear-leaf-spring-34-1335hd/

9 hours ago, LorenS said:

So, she got new carrier bearings today, too.

All in all pretty simple. Would've been fast, 

Did you check/replace pinion bearings too/seal? How was your bearing preload and back lash numbers?

downsized_0704151352.jpg

Edited by NIsaacs
add info/picture

5 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

Did you check/replace pinion bearings too/seal? How was your bearing preload and back lash numbers?

Nope. Just reused the shims that were there on the carrier bearings. Bearings weren't on the agenda yesterday, but tracked down two when it fell out of the truck and there was severe putting on the rollers.  No pinion seal leak so left it alone.

The actual changing of the clutches and carrier guts shouldn't require the setting of backlash.

Changing the bearings like I did, sure all that other should be done and checked. However, changing bearings is not what Blueox01 is considering.

If my bearings weren't absolute trash I would've put it all back together and taken it to "a guy" to do that amount of work! My bearing literally fell apart in the Parts washer, so it had to be changed!

KIMG0089.JPG

2 hours ago, LorenS said:

The actual changing of the clutches and carrier guts shouldn't require the setting of backlash.

KIMG0089.JPG

Yes, I indicated that it was a straight forward repair until you get into bearings and shims. That's when it becomes complex, difficult and time consuming.

New carrier bearings need bearing preload checked, you can't do that without pulling the pinion out. Now you have more bearings and shims to deal with. It is a domino effect.

Bearings can be run slightly loose, but not over tight at all. Without knowing.....is my point.

Wow, that bearing was toast. Makes you wonder now, huh?

I figure bearing manufacturers have their tolerances down pat, the shims are for the differences between differentials. Same brand went in that came out. Considering we didn't need a spread to put it back in, I'd say if anything it's loose.

I know the previous owner abused the truck, he basically told me as much. I figured I'd be driving this truck 800 miles per year so I really didn't care, now it's closer 30k miles per year so things are getting changed when time allows.

I'm guessing Blueox01 wouldn't run into the same problem I did, hence saying it was quick and easy. Changing carrier bearings the right way clearly would not be either!

• Like 2

Just a note for all of you rebuilding your TracLoks.  Match mark the case halves as the bearing mounts are machined with the unit assembled.  Also match mark any parts to be reused (internals don't like to be rearranged).  The close up is of a factory paint match mark and the overall shows match marking for reassembly.  Hope this helps.

20200311_133924.jpg

20200311_194033.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

Did you get new u-bolts, if so, what size? What part number springs? The 34-1335HD appear to be what you have? Six leaf v/s oem 4 leaf. They are $225 each. Let us know how the ride is. They look beefy.

I went with 5/8's when I worked on my suspension. The original are kinda undersized and were rotten where they passed through the bottom axle clamp. It is a catch all for mud/water.

https://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/1994-2002-dodge-ram-2500/3500-2wd-8800-gvw-and-greater-heavy-duty-rear-leaf-spring-34-1335hd/

downsized_0704151352.jpg

Yes, 34-1335HD. Came with everything but rear Shackles, got them locally(wish I would have ordered them) 5/8 U-bolts 12 1/2", Eye bolts ,nuts

5 hours ago, LorenS said:

Changing the bearings like I did, sure all that other should be done and checked. However, changing bearings is not what Blueox01 is considering.

If my bearings weren't absolute trash I would've put it all back together and taken it to "a guy" to do that amount of work! My bearing literally fell apart in the Parts washer, so it had to be changed!

KIMG0089.JPG

Didn't you have a problem that cause you to tear into this? Noise, Chatter?

Edited by Blueox01
  • Like 2

I had a hell of a lot of backlash since the day I bought it almost 60k miles ago. When I had the rear cover off 40k miles ago, or thereabouts, ol' dad gave it a quick inspection and showed me how much of the slop was in the spiders and side gears. In the last 5k miles everything got a lot worse and I had already ordered the carrier guts so decided to install before the new year.  I'm also a big fan of the LSD, whether gear or clutch type, and I would get "stuck" on wet grass unless I engaged 4WD.

Turns out the "Lot Worse" must have been the carrier bearings! Perhaps someday my not setting preload and backlash will lead to "Even Worse", but I'm skeptical of that. First, I rarely haul or tow and even then it's generally light - a Massey Ferguson 135 may be the heaviest thing so far. Second, the tolerance on Timken or SKF bearings is pretty good and I reinstalled the same shims in the same locations.

Time and mileage will tell.

8 hours ago, Joe_Pool said:

Just a note for all of you rebuilding your TracLoks

Good advice. As another note, beware that there are two different torque specs for those carrier bolts, and if you don't turn the page ('01 FSM) you'd never know! It's higher for bolts with special markings, which mine had, so I torqued them in 3 passes.

• Like 2