• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Yet Another Fog Light Thread

Yes, now that I've seen your setup I think that's right. Switch and relay are on their way, and I just ordered the connectors for the back of the bulbs. No idea what the "truck side" connector might be, but I'll just cut it off and use my own. Making my own harness will take 10 minutes. 

It's crazy how much time I've spent searching the internet for this answer and apparently we are now the first people on earth to have solved it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sleezy said:

Yes, now that I've seen your setup I think that's right. Switch and relay are on their way, and I just ordered the connectors for the back of the bulbs. No idea what the "truck side" connector might be, but I'll just cut it off and use my own. Making my own harness will take 10 minutes. 

It's crazy how much time I've spent searching the internet for this answer and apparently we are now the first people on earth to have solved it.

Albert freaking Einstiens!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

Deutsch connector I think is what was original to the truck.. might be metri-pack, those are what ive seen the most around these trucks.

But how would I ever match up the shape of a 20 year old plug? For some reason I can't seem to put up pictures on this thread anymore, but it's a male plug with two flat pins, plus 20 years of road grime buildup.

In general, I don't like cutting harnesses, but in this case I don't think it's a big deal. I've got weather proof connectors laying around, I'll just use one of them, splice back behind the existing wire loom, and heat shrink before re-applying the loom. It'll be better than new.

52 minutes ago, sleezy said:

But how would I ever match up the shape of a 20 year old plug? For some reason I can't seem to put up pictures on this thread anymore, but it's a male plug with two flat pins, plus 20 years of road grime buildup.

In general, I don't like cutting harnesses, but in this case I don't think it's a big deal. I've got weather proof connectors laying around, I'll just use one of them, splice back behind the existing wire loom, and heat shrink before re-applying the loom. It'll be better than new.

Standards exist for a reason, and when they are used so prevalently like wiring connectors, it is not in a companies best interest to swap designs. You can still buy packard connectors brand new, they were used on h4 headlight bulbs and single pin sensors. 

Flat pins blow my theory out of the water, Deutsch connectors are round pin..

If you have any thing like these you can use by all means use it..  https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/individual-components/connectors-and-plugs/metri-pack-connectors/  

Metri-pack 280 is the most prevalent.

Yeah I have a pack of good weather proof connectors like that. As much as I love trips to salvage yards I've got everything on hand to make a wiring harness, even the ribbed plastic wire loom.

Thank you everybody! A bunch of parts are still on their way but I think I have everything ordered to finally have factory fog lights like I've always pined for. I don't know when I'll get the time to tear down the front bumper but I'll at least be able to confirm power is getting to that front connector soon.

It's funny how excited I am for something so simple given all the other bigger, more impactful, projects I've completed over the years on this truck. I've just always wanted those factory fogs and it's always been more trouble than it's worth. Finally just doing it with y'all's help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Now how about the performance for the lights? Photos needed...

Haven't gotten that far yet. To install the lights the bumper has to come off and apart to replace the plastic inserts that they sit in. And while the bumper is apart I'm going to have my buddy powder coat the steel in black. I'm hoping to get this done in the next few weeks.

The interior project has actually been a pretty major overhaul and I want to wrap it up first:

- Replacing every single dash, gauge, indicator, etc, bulb with LEDs

- Installed new double-din stereo with Android Auto. Had to trim out the sub dash to make the larger head unit fit. New custom (and not broken) dash bezel for the larger unit.

- Installed a backup camera in the tailgate bezel looking down at the hitch so I can hook up solo in one shot every time.

- Swapped the top cigarette lighter for a USB port for Android Auto. Looks factory.

- Replaced driver seat cushion foam.

- Relocating a couple switches and installing a couple new switches for future on board air and air bags. (And exhaust brake, hopefully.)

It's been a lot to take on a couple hours at a time as time allows and parts arrive.