• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

how to discharge a/c system charge without killing myself

Pulling my motor, need to unhook the condensor so that I can come straight forward with my motor, minus the oil pan. Can't lay the condensor to the side because the bottom line is hard all the way past the air filter box, can't bend that stuff... So it needs to come off and to get it off I need to evacuate the r134 charge without freezing my skin, frostbite, maming myself, and etc... Any good methods?

It won't freeze your skin because of the leidenfrost effect. In fact I had some pour on my hands yesterday. If it is on your hand too long, it will pull the heat away from your hand then freeze it, but it takes time and a minute amount will just boil off. In any case, you don't rip the lines off, you just loosen it until it starts hissing out, go eat dinner, then come back and its all out. Your supposed to get it vacuumed off as it is illegal to just vent it to the atmosphere, as in $15,000 illegal. Shops may question you and such..

• Owner

It won't freeze your skin because of the leidenfrost effect. In fact I had some pour on my hands yesterday. If it is on your hand too long, it will pull the heat away from your hand then freeze it, but it takes time and a minute amount will just boil off. In any case, you don't rip the lines off, you just loosen it until it starts hissing out, go eat dinner, then come back and its all out.

Your supposed to get it vacuumed off as it is illegal to just vent it to the atmosphere, as in $15,000 illegal. Shops may question you and such..

Yeap... :thumbup2:

post-2-138698170394_thumb.jpg

post-2-1386981704_thumb.jpg

Loosen the 10mm bolt in the back of compressor, I think R135 can be vented Just not R12.(thats why R12 is costs almost what GOLD is a ounce) Make sure you remove valve cover,wiper blades and plastic cowl so you can pull out the back 4 push rods!:thumbup2:

Loosen the 10mm bolt in the back of compressor, I think R135 can be vented Just not R12.(thats why R12 is costs almost what GOLD is a ounce) Make sure you remove valve cover,wiper blades and plastic cowl so you can pull out the back 4 push rods!:thumbup2:

Cool. :thumbup2: I already have the tranny out so all I am going to do is just pull the oil pan so I can come straight out the front of the truck with it. Works like a charm!

To correct everyone here...........Refridgerant needs to be reclaimed with a reclamation machine Not vacuumed out. as doing it with a pump is still just putting it into the atmosphere. As for pulling the engine you don't need to pull cowling wipers ect to remoce the valve covers or push tubes, They have small plastic caps on the bottom side of the cowling for just the purpose of letting the push tubes and head bolts slide up far enough to remove them. all go out and take a look/feel and you will find the round plastic plugs that can be removed on the bottom side of the vent cowling above the rear of the valve cover.:thumb1:

Your supposed to get it vacuumed off as it is illegal to just vent it to the atmosphere, as in $15,000 illegal. Shops may question you and such..

Not to argue but...

Some people don't live near large cities with reclaiming equiptment (~180 miles)... Then looking at the cost of reclaiming equiptment its not user friendly for price... :rolleyes:

I was referring to the statement above. I bought a used R134A Robinaire reclaimer/recycler for 300 bucks and resold it for 700 as I didn't use it that much. So the cost isn't as bad as you would think and if you think pushing about 3-4 buttons to reclaim with one is not user friendly then I can't help.

:thumbup2::thumb1: I went ahead and vented to the atmosphere. :nono: Not really worried about it.What about the quick disconnect fittings?? I guess that is what they are... Anybody know what tool I need to disconnect them? little round looking things. One by the big round dryer thing by the firewall and one by the condenser.

• Owner

I have a set of things, I'm not sure what the name of them are. I went to the part store and described what I was doing and what I thought I needed to do it and they point out a set different size tools for that.

Release tools... post-2-138698170421_thumb.jpg Slide it up the tube into the spring. Push the collar hard and with a push and pull of the tube it should release... If not make sure the release tool is thick enough.

To correct everyone here...........Refridgerant needs to be reclaimed with a reclamation machine Not vacuumed out. as doing it with a pump is still just putting it into the atmosphere. As for pulling the engine you don't need to pull cowling wipers ect to remoce the valve covers or push tubes, They have small plastic caps on the bottom side of the cowling for just the purpose of letting the push tubes and head bolts slide up far enough to remove them. all go out and take a look/feel and you will find the round plastic plugs that can be removed on the bottom side of the vent cowling above the rear of the valve cover.:thumb1:

Yes, reclaimed. That is what I was trying to get at lol (not an a/c guy by any means). I knew a vacuum pump would just be a fancy way of opening one of the a/c line nuts since it has no reservoir or anything. I think the point is that the stuff is hard on the atmosphere and you all know that the right thing to do is to take it somewhere for collection. The cop isn't standing at your house so chances are nothing will happen and it is merely a moral decision. It's interesting how anyone can get freon and charge their own A/C for $10 for a cheapo kit, yet they don't go out of their way at all to sell a reclaimer kit. So they are few and far between and most of us probably won't go out of our way to find someone that has one. But finding one would definitely be the right thing to do.

Enviro treehumping weirdo crap,just something to make al gore money. That enviro crap is why they got rid of R12 and aerosol spray. I'm of the opinion that these reclaim/recycle regs are just another way to get money/taxes!:2cents: When ever i have A/C problems it leaks completely out PRIOR to me working on any components:cry:

Harbor freight has a $50 set of gauges with the connections you need to recharge your AC. If you need a vacuum pump, their two stage pump for $150 works pretty well.

Primo information!

i bought said gauges....the hose's crimp blew on the second use(my dodge ram) it was the high side and it blew at ~275PSI. i wasn't even charging....just wanna make sure everything was in spec. it was until i lost freon and oil :banghead: . and it leaves a stick residue on you and your truck. i took the gauges back. the gauges and block seemed like they were decent compared to some i looked at. but i have had a lot of stuff from HARBOR FREIGHT that brakes on the second use(i wonder why i shop there, but some times it is cheaper to replace 3 times than to buy premium):2cents: