• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P1694 and P1698, Diag help

38 minutes ago, Great work! said:

That's right. One more thing make sure all the connectors on the back of the fuse block in the dash are seated good.

Ok so can’t find the Radio CCD lines, I have an aftermarket radio so not sure they exist anymore but I unplugged my radio, ABS and overhead console. Started truck, tach dead. I’m working on getting to airbag module, haven’t taken off the shifter tower before so may be a minute.

I also reached in and made sure all connectors were fully seated to interior fuse box, they were.

Also pulled apart the underhood fuse box, no signs of any corrosion or messed up wires down there Altho admittedly it’s hard to see

Alright got Airbag module disconnected, ran the truck, gauges still dead. So this at least narrows it down to wiring/ecm/pcm/cluster correct?

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

You need to be checking ac at alternator not on batteries. Big difference, battery is like a filter it buffs out ac noise. Do a wt mod for sure. Not saying you don't have other issues but WT is important on our trucks. 

Checked AC from alternator stud to the negative terminal of both batteries, both showed same result .03-.04. Only other way I could do it is from alternator stud to engine block I guess?

I’ll certainly do the WT mod but I don’t think that’ll fix my issue, it’s more of a preventative. Before I spend any big money I will do the mod though, already got the 150A circuit breaker.

BTW should my CCD voltages have been exactly 2.51 and 2.49? Is the fact they’re 2.49 and 2.42 a sign of the issue or just normal variance?

Edited by teknic

7 hours ago, Great work! said:

Because the bus is active and talking those voltages fluctuate. During a very long idle state which is very unlikely the voltages will settle.

Ok thanks, if you saw above I did as suggested running engine just off ecm/pcm/cluster and the tach stayed dead. I guess next thing I’ll do is the WT wire mod in case it’s a ground issue

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Did you test the cluster? Hold the trip pin down and turn the key on. It should say Chek then release. The test will running at the end report error codes in the odometer.

Yes while the 3 gauges were dead I performed the cluster test, all needles moved correctly and at the end it saw codes p1693 and p1694.

• Owner

Cluster codes are not p codes... Then the codes range from 900 to 999.. Only 3 digits.

So if there is no 900 to 999 codes then I'm stay in on the CCD network being the issue. You got to figure out what is messing with the line voltage if nothing can be found you might have to send the ECM and PCM for testing.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Cluster codes are not p codes... Then the codes range from 900 to 999.. Only 3 digits.

So if there is no 900 to 999 codes then I'm stay in on the CCD network being the issue. You got to figure out what is messing with the line voltage if nothing can be found you might have to send the ECM and PCM for testing.

Attached are the codes the cluster shows.

yea I’m thinking the ECM and PCM need to get tested and gone over. Going to do the WT wire Mod first for the hell of it.

755BDA69-4794-49DB-BEFF-3F2A65D2BD63.jpeg

ABC36DD2-E379-4536-9441-E772E2B99B59.jpeg

• Owner

Only shows when you hold the trip pin down, then turn the key on, then the odometer will say "Chec" when you release the lcuster does its test then completes. In the odometer display these 3 digit codes will be displayed. If none display the cluster is good. So again this points me at the PCM and ECM

Oh yeah the CCD bus on the stereo is a 2 pin plug. Same pair of wires as the ODBII plug. This was used for steering wheel control and so the digital signal could be recv'ed for volume up and down and tuner up and down on the steering wheel. If these 2 wires and shorting out because some one cut them up or hooked them to something could pull the CCD network down. (Errors).

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Only shows when you hold the trip pin down, then turn the key on, then the odometer will say "Chec" when you release the lcuster does its test then completes. In the odometer display these 3 digit codes will be displayed. If none display the cluster is good. So again this points me at the PCM and ECM

Oh yeah the CCD bus on the stereo is a 2 pin plug. Same pair of wires as the ODBII plug. This was used for steering wheel control and so the digital signal could be recv'ed for volume up and down and tuner up and down on the steering wheel. If these 2 wires and shorting out because some one cut them up or hooked them to something could pull the CCD network down. (Errors).

ok yea so my cluster definitely shows no codes after the test, so it’s good.

Hm I couldn’t find any extra plugs at my radio, would this 2-pin connector be in the same bundle as the other 2 connectors? I have no audio controls on my steering wheel, just cruise control. I have 2 connectors that are like 6-7 wires each that go to radio, 1 antenna lead, 1 wire that is single pin slip on connector like how you see on oil oil pressure sensors, and then a big round plug that I think is the 6-disc changer. I tried reaching around and didn’t find any loose wires. Any chance you have a picture for reference?

• Owner
6 minutes ago, teknic said:

I have no audio controls on my steering wheel, just cruise control.

Neither do I (no steering wheel controls) but still there is still a 2 wire connector with the 2 CCD Bus wires even on my truck. (vio/brn) and the (wht/blk) wires... ALL truck have this connector regardless of steering wheel controls. 

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Neither do I (no steering wheel controls) but still there is still a 2 wire connector with the 2 CCD Bus wires even on my truck. (vio/brn) and the (wht/blk) wires... ALL truck have this connector regardless of steering wheel controls. 

That’s so weird I even just pulled up the service manual and see the radio C3 connector with 2 pins.

well I guess I’ll be tearing in there later maybe that thing is crushed somewhere. 

do you know if it’s bundled with the 2 main radio connectors?

Alright I’ll rip into it and report back, I know there was no connector so I’m sorta thinking/hoping someone clip the wires somewhere and they’re randomly shorting

Just posting this pic for my own and others references, the radio ccd connector is “Radio C3” in service manual. Located in Figure 25 of connector locations. (Figure is from angle of you looking from firewall towards radio)

in the figure you can see it should branch off the C1 and C2 bundle just a few inches before the C1 and C2 connectors.

BDCAA49E-1ED5-4180-B2A7-5F09175AECC2.jpeg

Ok quick update pulled my radio and HVAC panel… 2 pin CCD Connector nowhere to be found, see pic attached. Pulled back that wire covering too, no cut wires no loose wires nothing.

3D9F76F4-C223-43A0-9BE7-1E8C9345D486.jpeg

If anyone out there could get a picture of their radio C3 connector and see/show where it comes from in the harness id be immensely grateful.

Mainly need to know where it comes from, because if it comes out the same spot as the end of that red circle I’ve got no clue where this plug went

Update:

Alright I decided to pull out Junction Connector 7, to the left of the steering wheel which is where all the CCD lines join. I looked at pins 17 and 20 which is where Radio C3 should terminate, they’re not there.

I think my truck just doesn’t have that connector, let me know if I’m wrong.

B037129F-143B-4101-86F0-2B53A24131E2.jpeg

Edited by teknic