• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

steering dampner

The bolt goes through the damper and everything but has a taper on the side that goes through the tie rod. When you tighten it, it wedges into the bolt of the tie rod. You have to beat it out or put heat to the tie rod.

• Like 1

The bolt goes through the damper and everything but has a taper on the side that goes through the tie rod. When you tighten it, it wedges into the bolt of the tie rod. You have to beat it out or put heat to the tie rod.

i kinda thought that what it was. torchless today but have a bfh and a sfh. a little excercise never hurt anyone. thanks

I did not get the bolt of the tie rod today. bfh and sfh did not work so good.:banghead: I did notice the bolt looks strange, threads sticking out of one side and on the other a larger two tiered shaft about 5/8" long with the dampner against it and on the othe rside of the damper a flange. this flange would rotate with a pair of channel locks but niether move in or out while rotating. will it beconme apparent what this is when i get it off or does any one have any experience with this fastner?:broke:

I did not get the bolt of the tie rod today. bfh and sfh did not work so good.:banghead: I did notice the bolt looks strange, threads sticking out of one side and on the other a larger two tiered shaft about 5/8" long with the dampner against it and on the othe rside of the damper a flange. this flange would rotate with a pair of channel locks but niether move in or out while rotating. will it beconme apparent what this is when i get it off or does any one have any experience with this fastner?:broke:

Umm.... I don't remember it being that big of a deal a year ago when I replaced mine. Think I just took the nut off and popped it out. Sounds like yours is being a little more of a PITA.:thud:

Umm.... I don't remember it being that big of a deal a year ago when I replaced mine. Think I just took the nut off and popped it out. Sounds like yours is being a little more of a PITA.:thud:

PITA it is. did your bolt resemble what i described or is my description lacking?

PITA it is. did your bolt resemble what i described or is my description lacking?

Yeah that sounds right. Has a flat side on the front and a nut on the back?:shrug: That sounds right. Might try some PB Blaster or something like that. Let it sit on there for a little bit, then try to pop it out.:thumb1:

Not the greatest pics, but does it look like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I guess I was thinking it had one flat side. Had to say what I'm thinking about!:lmao:

Yeah that sounds right. Has a flat side on the front and a nut on the back?:shrug: That sounds right. Might try some PB Blaster or something like that. Let it sit on there for a little bit, then try to pop it out.:thumb1:

Not the greatest pics, but does it look like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I guess I was thinking it had one flat side. Had to say what I'm thinking about!:lmao:

it looks like your bolt has a nut facing me and hexbolt head on the back side of dampner. mine has a flange on the back side that i can rotate:broke:. I cant figure out why it would rotate, nothing else does. I am speaking of the bolt nearest the center of the axle. I tried hitting the threaded end but the tie rod from the steering box is in the way. off subject , how do you like your steering stabilizer? i plan to put mine on this week end. did you encounter any dificulties?

it looks like your bolt has a nut facing me and hexbolt head on the back side of dampner. mine has a flange on the back side that i can rotate:broke:. I cant figure out why it would rotate, nothing else does. I am speaking of the bolt nearest the center of the axle. I tried hitting the threaded end but the tie rod from the steering box is in the way. off subject , how do you like your steering stabilizer? i plan to put mine on this week end. did you encounter any dificulties?

Yeah okay that's why I think about a flat side. I think my old one was like that. Might try lifting the steering brace off the bolt instead of driving the bolt out. Just something to try.:neutral: I like it, defiantly worth it. Don't expect night and day but it will help tighten things up some and prevent wear in the steering box. It wasn't hard at all, less than an hour. A second person was nice to help hold it and the sway bar up, however, a single person could do it.:thumbup2:

Yeah okay that's why I think about a flat side. I think my old one was like that. Might try lifting the steering brace off the bolt instead of driving the bolt out. Just something to try.:neutral:

I like it, defiantly worth it. Don't expect night and day but it will help tighten things up some and prevent wear in the steering box. It wasn't hard at all, less than an hour. A second person was nice to help hold it and the sway bar up, however, a single person could do it.:thumbup2:[/quote

I will give it another shot this weekene. Got a son who will be there to help. the pics were fine by the way.

Why not try jamming a Tie Rod Separator bar behind it to take up the slack? I had a similar issue with the Sway bar mount on the rear, the sway bar link bolt was seized in the hole and it would bounce everytime I hit with a hammer. I have a Tie rod/Ball Joint separator which popped it out easily http://www.princessauto.com/search-products?keyword1=ball+joint+separator