• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck has issues steering only to the left

CSGAMING

I have a 2004 Dodge ram 2500 4x4. It has a new power steering pump for a 2008 dodge ram 2500. My issue now is that it has no power steering assist when turning left. If i turn right i have zero issues but as soon as i go left i have no assist what so ever.  Im also not having any issues with my hydrobooster which is only 6 months old. Im thinking steering gearbox control valve is not functioning when I go left and thats why I dont get any assist. Only want to ask before installing a redhead.

Your symptoms do suggest that there is a problem with the valve spool in the steering gear box.  A steering system flush may help if some debris is causing the problem.  Did the problem begin occurring with the replacement of the power steering pump?  A little more detail may help.

- John

It had weak steering while parking or making tight turns so we replaced the power steering pump. On the first test drive after replacement we noticed that it would only have and issue going left. It has new fluid in the system.

• Owner

Yup it sound like the spool valve has debris in the valve. So when you turn to the left the valve opens and applies pressure to the piston ot aid in turning since the left side is weak then you'll need to remove the steering box and disassemble the power valve assembly. Be aware you might pull the worn gear out and if so you'll have to count 22 ball bearings and reload the worm gear with the 22 ball bearings. This is done under the cover of the sector adjustment.

Might give @Blue-Top Steering a call and he can guide you to fixing this as well.