• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pinion Bearing Stuck

Replaced wheel bearing, seals, calipers and pads and thought while I'm there I'll replace pinion bearing and seal. It is froze on there, we pryed on it, hit shaft with dead blow hammer and we just put the seal in and and said run it.
Any tips on getting it out short of stripping rear end?

I wouldn't touch it as you will only be able to change the outer one if you could get it out, to do the job right it's a full strip down of axle and I'd say just changing the outer bearing would change the preload on the inner bearing, sometimes with the flange removed using a torch you can see what the bearing race is like if there is any damage 

If the seal was leaking was there any play before you stripped it and what is the seal path like on the pinion flange, if there is a groove where the seal lip was you can usually get repair sleeves with the right seal or just set the new seal at a slightly depth

Another leak path is down the side of the seal steel if it hasn't got pre applied sealer or a rubber outer   or a plain steel seal outer that wasn't fitted with a smear of sealant

OIP.jpg

• Like 1