• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 RAM 2500 Heat Exchanger

I too had a misconception regarding the reason for the heat exchanger shortly after purchasing this 2nd Gen in 2001. I proceeded to build my A-pillar gage cluster with Boost, EGT and Transmission temperature however; I didn't have an aftermarket transmission pan with a temperature sensor probe to allow data for the temp gage. 

I really don't know what I was thinking at the time and I went to Dodge to ask what they suggest to obtain readings in regard to transmission fluid temperatures.

1866565177_CTDTranscoolentline002.jpg.e3156d9a64b983ebd8e5814026670992.jpg  

This optional "Hot" line output from the transmission was available directly from Dodge and included the "vibration" coupling hose that couples to the Heat Exchanger.

818289870_CTDTranscoolentline015.jpg.a1cd0a2656c85ae15b5fdfb042bbcfc8.jpg

I thought this was the proper way to extract transmission fluid temperature data for my gage cluster and keep it OE as an additional or optional accessory according to Dodge. Wow, I was not thinking correctly!

96936150_CTDTranscoolentline011.jpg.f24360fa23d3781650e2dffc4da7e76c.jpg

This assembly was extremely expensive ($225) and hind site reveals I could have purchased a quality deep pan with the in-pan temperature port from Goerend  for less money. 

Now, I was reading thermal fluid temperatures directly, after all the thermal stress aspects, have been transferred to the fluid. At warm up conditions on a 95F day I was observing 220F !

I wasn't pleased with my decision to have incorporated this optional "Factory" assembly. The fascination with this "hot" line output was the extremely convenient port assembly to allow my new Hewitt Industries temperature sensor to be applied with a clean appearance. I thought to myself, "wow this is sexy" and being so extremely anal about "how" something looks when completed...I just had to do it.  :(

I didn't fully understand why the "hot" fluid was being transported to this 'heat exchanger" and as @pepsi71ocean has presented in this thread as a historical refresher, (and I must say thank you) I too found the ability to transfer heat immediately from the "hot line output" prior to the coolant passage of the radiator to be highly efficient in design. Eventually, I was able to take temperature readings after the heat exchanger and discovered a 30 to 40 degree subtraction from the "direct hot line output" and rested my concerns.

My travels to Idaho Falls, ID and Butte, Montana during the winter months does require the added benefit of the heat exchanger and @LorenS, thank you...your information regarding the lack of overdrive in frigid conditions now enlightens my understanding....honestly, after 21 years of owning this truck, I did not know that!

Cheers,

W-T      

• Like 2

OK all,

I think you have convinced me to keep the HE in place.  I'll work on getting it to not leak (ugh).  However, does anyone know if there are replacement (aftermarket) lines available that come out the side of the HE on a 2001?

Bruce

This would be the coolant lines...

B

This would be what I'm looking for.  Replacement of the mess that comes off the coolant ports on the HE.

image.png

Edited by IBMobile
remove duplicate diagrams

On 1/8/2022 at 2:48 PM, BDK said:

OK all,

I think you have convinced me to keep the HE in place.  I'll work on getting it to not leak (ugh).  However, does anyone know if there are replacement (aftermarket) lines available that come out the side of the HE on a 2001?

Bruce

Yes, I actually just bought one for good measure, I'm in the process of replacing the cooling system in its entirety.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-3935812-1998-2002-Cummins-Transmission/dp/B078NJK53D?fbclid=IwAR1lSSExUZFR4JsQpPxHlihsAkfE2OHl6UFydDAxooOg8jEZAeNv73KSg0w

Thanks Pepsi,

Are your lines ok on the coolant side.  I believe my son's will need replaced and cannot find them at a reasonable price.  IB found some but they were VERY expensive and may just need to make my own or take the old one's somewhere and have then bend new lines.

Bruce

On 1/12/2022 at 9:36 AM, BDK said:

Thanks Pepsi,

Are your lines ok on the coolant side.  I believe my son's will need replaced and cannot find them at a reasonable price.  IB found some but they were VERY expensive and may just need to make my own or take the old one's somewhere and have then bend new lines.

Bruce

Surprisingly they are sill in good shape, I did have to replace the output line a one point, but I bought it from the dealership. I'm not sure what is reasonable anymore haha, I just pay it if it makes sense.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:16 PM, LorenS said:

$410?!?!?  Holy smokes.

that's cheap compared to the $2,000 that they want for an OEM one!