• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dreaded P0216 code, help/advice

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Buy a Flow meter then you cantest it yourself.

A flowmeter will not be of any help for testing the output of either the lift pump or the internal vane pump.

Lift pump - There is no way to connect a flowmeter to a lift pump that returns unused fuel to its suction side within the pump housing.  Two flowmeters would be required for a lift pump that returns unused fuel through an external line.  One flowmeter would have to be connected in a series circuit with the VP44.  The whole setup would be cumbersome and would not be practical to view from within the cab for testing under actual driving conditions.

A simple flow performance chart would provide the necessary information regarding fuel flow for all driving conditions before the lift pump was even purchased.  Customers would know what they are getting.

Internal vane pump - a flowmeter can be connected to measure return flow from the VP44 to the fuel tank, but there will still be two unknowns:

- fuel volume for injectors under any given engine rpm / load (a minor issue, as it could be roughly calculated)

- fuel volume for fuel flowing over the internal vane pump regulating valve returning fuel to the suction side of the internal vane pump under any given engine rpm / load.  This volume is important, so not knowing this volume is a much bigger issue.

I believe that the lack of basic performance information for both of these pumps has contributed greatly to the difficulty of diagnosing fuel related performance problems and to the misunderstandings and mystery surrounding the VP44 fuel system.

Something worthy of mention is that the output of both of these pumps is actually the volume of fuel leaving the pumping chamber, which includes the volume of fuel heading to its intended destination and the volume of fuel passing over its internal pressure regulating valve.

4 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Still second guessing my purchase at this point.

I wouldn't worry too much about your purchase...., it will work fine.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
added a tad bit more information
  • Like 3

That would be nice if someone had published flow at specific  pressure ratings.   It may have already been done, but I am not sure where it has been posted.

From Bosch

TYPE FORMULA on the pump for the 0470506028 is  VR6/3/70M1600R1000

0470506027 VR6/3/75M1600R1000

This is my understanding: ( someone please add to it.)

VR6 = 6 fuel lines

3 = plungers

70m = reference for the size of the plunger

1600R = I think is the RPM for testing (2x pump stand ) 

1000??

The Scheid Lightning II pump is supposed to supply 100cc more fuel than stock

@dieselautopower, thank you very much for this information.  This is good information for deciphering the code for the business end of the VP44, but what I really want to know is the displacement of the internal vane pump in terms of cubic inch per revolution.  If you happen to find a source for this information, please let me know.

I appreciate your quick response.

Thank you,

- John

• Staff

Updste*****

Installed the Raptor 150 today. Instalation went well despite my big hands in small places. Pump is on along with the 1/2" line from pump to filter housing. I was unable to install the larger line from filter to vp44 because to do so I would have lost the pressure test fitting at the vp44. I needed this to check/set pressure of the new pump. I will be ordering a fuel pressure gauge to mount in cab soon. Then the 1/2" line will go on to the vp44.

So far all is well, pressure is rock solid at 18psi. No codes in the OBD2. 

I also did the lift pump relay to lighten the electrical load from the ecm. Now power to the pump is supplied directly from the battery via 15a fuse and then the relay. Triggered by the original ecm power wire for the pump as explained in the article by @IBMobile.

Soooo glad to have her up and running again!

• Like 3