• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cigarette lighter power intermittent

Hey folks the lower power port in my truck works well, however, the cigarette lighter (upper). Will often take 10 seconds or so to power an accessory like a USB charger, and sometimes will go out for a minute.

Any thoughts on theories on low/ intermittent power from the cigarette lighter?

Has to be either a loose/weak supply or ground. Time to trace, test and verify connection of wires involved. Intermittent electrical problems are the worst. You could fix the problem by just checking connections and not even know it or find an obvious problem.

• Like 1

• Owner

There is a two wire plug on the socket just a PITA to remove so you can check. But you should be able to somewhat reach it from the driver side. I removed mine and installed 3A USB charger. One plug is my Garmin GPS then the second is to charge my phone. Since the USB charger is QC3 it will charge pretty fast.

Quick Charge 3.0 USB Charger Socket, ADSDIA 12V/24V 36W Aluminum Waterproof Dual QC3.0 Car Charger Power Adapter Outlet with LED Display for Car Boat Marine Motorcycle Scooter RV Golf Cart DIY Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PN5YZX3/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_883DAW4JAFP7E8N52KS5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

There is a two wire plug on the socket just a PITA to remove so you can check. But you should be able to somewhat reach it from the driver side. I removed mine and installed 3A USB charger. One plug is my Garmin GPS then the second is to charge my phone. Since the USB charger is QC3 it will charge pretty fast.

Quick Charge 3.0 USB Charger Socket, ADSDIA 12V/24V 36W Aluminum Waterproof Dual QC3.0 Car Charger Power Adapter Outlet with LED Display for Car Boat Marine Motorcycle Scooter RV Golf Cart DIY Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PN5YZX3/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_883DAW4JAFP7E8N52KS5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks,

I still have the stock radio and use a Bluetooth radio transmitter in the cigarette lighter so it only comes on when the truck comes on, but I might put one of these in the bottom power plug.

I have the fancy radio and thought I have to replace speakers etc if I want to resolve the head unit.

• Owner

Exactly what I did. Ditched the stock head unit. Installed a Kenwood Bluetooth stereo. Then upgraded the cig plug to USB. 

The part I don't like is the Bluetooth to FM seems the volume is always weaker than Bluetooth to a head unit directly like what Beast has. Being I bought a FM transmitter for Thor also use in the Mini van. Either vehicle seems weak for volume. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Exactly what I did. Ditched the stock head unit. Installed a Kenwood Bluetooth stereo. Then upgraded the cig plug to USB. 

The part I don't like is the Bluetooth to FM seems the volume is always weaker than Bluetooth to a head unit directly like what Beast has. Being I bought a FM transmitter for Thor also use in the Mini van. Either vehicle seems weak for volume. 

Did you need to replace speakers with the head unit?  My setup has the Bose speakers.

• Owner
10 minutes ago, beautifulisblue said:

Did you need to replace speakers with the head unit?  My setup has the Bose speakers.

No. I had the standard speaker set up. The only thing you need to do is order the faceplate for the stereo and then the stereo wiring kit for that truck. You can reuse those speakers just as well. The amplifiers are on the front two 6x9 speakers. 

Face plate

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-6700-Dash-Ford-74-03/dp/B0002EXGVY/

Wiring kit

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1817-Harness-Chrysler-1984-2006/dp/B0002BF0DE/

Here is what I'm running for stereo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017Y5W2PO/

• Owner

Different vehicle but my 99 Mini Van has two power points in the vehicle and both don't work well at all. The front one was a actual cigarette lighter. I normally plug in the Bluetooth/FM transmitter. Nothing happens, now with a light touch and barely any pressure turn the accessory slow counter clockwise and PRESTO it lights up and works. I know you should have to hang your jaw just right while doing a hand stand to plug in a 12V accessory to make it work. :rolleyes: Tell you the truth I'm working my way away from cigarette lighter accessories typically you have the popping out on there own, bad connection, poor quality and burn up because the circuit has 20A fuse.