• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Both Trucks showing up with slow to non working wipers...

• Staff

It is very straightforward to change out the wiper motor and little gearbox. Comes all in one. You first need to to mark where the stop position is with tape on the windshield so you can line up the wiper in the correct stop/swing position when placing them back on the splinned spindle. The wiper swing arms/ linkage, motor all comes out in one assembly (4 bolts) so you can change out the trans and motor and lithium grease all the moving parts on the bench.

Important note... If you run the wiper motor with the blades off the hubs to see if the lubrication has increased or improved the motor speed you MUST first run the motor to the full normal stop position Before putting the arms back on. That will insure proper operation when done.

One important note... after installing the new motor I noticed on the malfunctioning original factory transmission that there was a small weep hole that will give you access to spray in some lithium grease inside the little gearbox. I will have to try that and hook to a battery and see if I can get it rolling again. To get to it you need to remove the whole assembly turning it over will reveal a small square hole that was facing forward and down when bolted in. Tuning it over will allow the spray tube in there to give it the lubrication it likely needs as my 02 only has 106 k miles and the motor was stopped. The 01 is slow now and smelled the motor getting hot last Friday on the way in. I will be into that one next weekend to try and grease the gears. See if that works for awhile. 

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is good to know. My wipers have been slow for years (and really slow when they're cold) so I should probably get around to this.

Do you access everything through the cowl with the hood lowered? Maybe that black plastic piece pops off and everything is right there?

Somewhat related: If I turn my wiper switch all the way off my wipers stop right where they're at. Nifty if I want to stop them at the top so I can grab a pine needle or break up some ice, but usually annoying. Any chance replacing the motor would fix that? I've always figured there's probably some bad connection somewhere that feeds power to the wipers to let them finish their wipe after the switch is off, but I've never tried to track it down. I did replace the multifunction switch, which fixed my high beams but not the wiper issue.

• Staff

The troubles I'm having in both trucks are lack of lubrication inside the gear transmission. After replacing mine on the least number of miles truck(106,000 miles) out of the two... looking closely at the original part on the bench, I found it does have a small square hole in the gear box to shoot in some lithium grease or drops of oil in there. When you take off the black plastic cowel/ cover and turn on the wipers without the blades that's when you can hear where the trouble is. I could hear the gears binding next to the motor when going ever so slow and bogging down.

8 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

Central timing module also has been linked to wipers stopping in the middle of the windshield.. happened to both my old 1500 and my 2500.. havent fixed my 2500 but the ctm fixed it for the 1500.

My wiper work fine if I hit wash, or any delay setting. If they are on slow or fast, I have to shut them off at a certain area of the swipe for them to park normally. Another area will cause them to go to park and then come up about 1/4 swipe and stop. If shut off at 3/4-full swipe, they will just stop.

On older Chevy's, they had a printed circuit board that was easily replaced to correct this exact problem. You think the CTM would fix my issue and where is it?

Dont know if it would fix the issue but its located betwwen the knee bolster and ash tray behind the dash. Pain in the butt to get to if im honest. You also need to know what version yours is before getting one. Base or highline are the options. And you cant buy one new to my knowledge. You have to get one used.

41 minutes ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

Dont know if it would fix the issue but its located betwwen the knee bolster and ash tray behind the dash. Pain in the butt to get to if im honest. You also need to know what version yours is before getting one. Base or highline are the options. And you cant buy one new to my knowledge. You have to get one used.

Thanks, guess I'll just keep using my awesome skills on timing the shutoff of my wipers....🤣😂🤣😂

• Owner
1 hour ago, Max Tune said:

I have to shut them off at a certain area of the swipe for them to park normally.

Motor park reed problem, just need the wiper motor. 

1 hour ago, Max Tune said:

My wiper work fine if I hit wash, or any delay setting. If they are on slow or fast

Most likely the multi-function switch is wore out. 

Central timer is only used for the delay function as far as I know but never heard of a Central Timer failure for wiper delay. Being multi-function switch gets used and could have wear. I can also see if a bad wiper motor drawing too many amps cooking the central timer like the whole PCM voltage regulator issue. Still in all the years of working on these trucks I've never seen a bad central timer yet. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2022 at 7:15 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Motor park reed problem, just need the wiper motor. 

Most likely the multi-function switch is wore out. 

Central timer is only used for the delay function as far as I know but never heard of a Central Timer failure for wiper delay. Being multi-function switch gets used and could have wear. I can also see if a bad wiper motor drawing too many amps cooking the central timer like the whole PCM voltage regulator issue. Still in all the years of working on these trucks I've never seen a bad central timer yet. 

For me it's not the multi-function switch because I replaced that and no change in wiper operation. My delay and speed settings work just fine, the only thing is if I turn it off mid-wipe the wipers stop right where they are (and they're slow when cold). What's funny is after a couple wipes they speed up a lot - it's just the first wipe or two where I'm like "come on little fella, you can do it". 

When I run the washer I have to remember to also put it on intermittent because otherwise it'll do a couple wipes but then stop halfway up the window. With int. setting it parks just fine after washing and then I turn off the wipers the rest of the way.

Guess it's a new motor for me -- glad it's such an easy fix!

• Like 1