• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pump gone bad?

I have an 01 3500 HO 

i just replaced about every sensor n the truck along with the grounding mods and alternator mods. 

The truck is breaking up bad through the whole RPM range. 
it does puff white and black smoke from the exhaust. 
I just resolved an issue with my AirDog loosing ground and cutting out. 
i have the following codes. 
P0230

P0254

P0370

P1690

What route should i go next?

• Owner

Next part is why?

I'm going to assume you haven't done the W-T ground wire mod. So now a bad alternator diode can pollute the system with AC noise. Being the ground for the ECM and VP44 run right next to the alternator charge line heading to the PDC. So you need to bench test the alternator replace it if noise issue is present. Then do the W-T ground wire mod which fixes this problem. Then install a new VP44 which won't be damaged by AC noise in the future.

28 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Next part is why?

I'm going to assume you haven't done the W-T ground wire mod. So now a bad alternator diode can pollute the system with AC noise. Being the ground for the ECM and VP44 run right next to the alternator charge line heading to the PDC. So you need to bench test the alternator replace it if noise issue is present. Then do the W-T ground wire mod which fixes this problem. Then install a new VP44 which won't be damaged by AC noise in the future.

I have done the W-T mod but have not bench tested the alternator for AC noise. I’ll check it next. 
Would i need to check a new alternator for AC noise?

AC noise check ---2nd this... I remember seeing it somewhere but cant recall where. 

55 minutes ago, Silver_O1_Dually said:

I have done the W-T mod but have not bench tested the alternator for AC noise. I’ll check it next. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Silver_O1_Dually said:

Yes, some are bad out of the box.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If diodes are damaged either replace the diodes or just replace the alternator. Might look up local alternator rebuilder for diodes.

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/51_engine/electrical/denso-alternator-diodes-and-brush-pack-replacement-r537/?tab=comments#comment-39

• Like 1