• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bigger injectors = harder cold start?

Hey everyone. I'm new to the diesel world and trying to figure out which size injectors to go with. Seems like 150hp + Quad + s382/364 is a popular combo for upgrades. My concern is that I live in Montana and it gets a little chilly here. 

Would 150hp injectors make for harder starts in the cold winters? I usually plug the pickup in at night, but worry about it not starting if I installed larger injectors.

150s I don't think are big enough to start having issues starting. Its then you get to the like 300hp (7x.013) range and above. Even less of an issue if you keep the truck plugged in. 

S364 is on the large to very large side of 150s, depending on the turbine and turbine housing. You would be better off with 200-250s.

Speaking as someone who just went through this, figure out your use of the vehicle, pick a horsepower goal, then pick the turbo, then pick injectors.

@Mopar1973Man lives in a similar area/climate as you and has a nearly identical setup to what you mentioned.

@dieselautopower can also help once you have an idea for usage and power goals.

• Like 1

• Owner

I'm running DAP's +150HP injectors popped at 320 bar and no starting issues all the way to about -20F. I'm back on my stock turbo for now till I get my HX35/40 rebuilt. EGT's are low 550Fat 65 MPH I can be as low as 450F at 55 MPH. Being I've got a Quadzilla and running my Economy tune I've built, MPGwise I've topped out at 28.04 MPG.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner

Just a sample. Heading to town running 55 MPH. Sure like the low EGTs. Oh watch the elevation I'm not really climbing or falling. Flat ground sample.

Quadzilla adrenaline

150 HP DAP injectors popped at 320 bar.

Stock HX35W turbo

245/75 R16 tires on 3.55 gears with a final of 3.69:1

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just a sample. Heading to town running 55 MPH. Sure like the low EGTs. Oh watch the elevation I'm not really climbing or falling. Flat ground sample.

Quadzilla adrenaline

150 HP DAP injectors popped at 320 bar.

Stock HX35W turbo

245/75 R16 tires on 3.55 gears with a final of 3.69:1

This is great information. I appreciate you sharing. This looks like the setup I'll go with :)