• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Shop Talk on Carbon Fiber

JAG1

• Staff

My Metal Detector has those typical button type disconnects to unlock the tubing and fit the sections into a smaller carry bag. However, the bottom section with the coil has a much longer carbon fiber tube attached making it impossible to get inside a reasonably sized carry bag. So without any carbon fiber knowledge I cut the tubing just above the male connector and split the tubing off the connector. Thinking I can simply slide the cut end back onto the male connector and use two quick release pins whenever I need to break it down to store it in the carry bag. I realized finally it's best to use non metallic hardware to fasten the sensing coil and carbon fiber tube together so it won't confuse the detector with metal quick release pins just above the coil.

Anyway the short of it is that I am worried the carbon fiber will split not being epoxied back onto the connector? Does anyone know if it will not hold up using two all nylon nuts and bolts instead?

TIA

tape the cut location and use a good saw to do it so you don't get any ripping in the fibers.  clean up your cut with some light grit sand paper, should be fine.    depending on the quality of the carbon fiber you might run risks of splitting if you use to much force on the blade.

Edited by Me78569
  • Thanks 1