• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Muffler - When to Replace

I am still running the OEM muffler on my '02.  Just wondering when and if it should be replaced.  It has logged 363,000 miles and has been in operation for over 20 years.  It still seems to perform fine, but maybe it is one of those things that can slowly deteriorate internally and cause increasing back pressure without knowing it.  Should I just keep running it or replace it as a maintenance item?  Any thoughts?

- John

• Staff

I don't know John, the rear end cap to mine rusted and fell off (rear pipe section was swinging on its hanger) so one shop wanted 350 for just the muffler replacement. I went to my favorite muffler shop in the next town and he made a new end cap and outlet, welded that to the muffler with all new pipe from there on to the exhaust tip for 65 dollars. What a great person he is,,, owns the shop with three lifts and does all his own work. I have to admit I was lucky because he just got done with a big exhaust on a new Dodge Ram and so there was my tail section just laying there all nice and new. He gave it to me for free.

• Staff
Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

4 inch is always an upgrade. I ran mine till my muffler broke off the tail pipe. Right around 300k if I recall correctly.

Your supposed to be in bed asleep at this hour :wow:

• Staff

Yep! But, go under there and see if the section coming out the back end of the muffler is in good shape good and solid. That's where most fail. 

When I was young I used to fix a lot of things that weren't broken, how I lost girlfriends too I guess!