• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My transmission gave out

I was cruising down the highway today and the truck acted like it slipped into nuetral. After that there was no go. None of the gears works, forward or reverse. At the time of the incident my temp was normal and there were no wierd noises. There was no noise when it went eiher. The truck just reved like it fell out of gear. My only guess is that I broke the input shaft. I assume that the only real answer will come by taking it apart.

on my ranger, when the input shaft decided to lose teeth, there were no weird sounds prior. i literally was driving on the interstate, pulled off for fuel, and before i could get back on i was hearing a STRANGE noise. because you say you can't get any gear(forward or reverse) i'm inclined to think it has to do with how the stick moves the forks. the forks move the collar over the syncro and onto the gear. if your stick does not move the fork, the collar doesn't engage. and i would imagine that would be an "all or nothing" problem. the input shaft has enough teeth that you should shear everyone

--- Update to the previous post...

never mind...thats all manual stuff...triple disc torque converter means AUTOMATIC :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I am going to have a new one built. I have two transmissions. The one that is not in the truck is at my transmission shop. The will have it done in a day. The part that sucks is we won't know what broke until after the new one is rebuilt so there is no way to guard against whatever happened from happening again.

If you start it and put it in gear then try to put it in park with it running, if the input shaft broke you will have nothing, if the output shaft broke it will grind like heck as the tranny internals are spinning yet but not out the back and the park lock is trying to catch. This is a good indicator of input or output shaft breakage. Output shaft repair doesn't require tranny removal, just remove t-case if its a 4-wd, and then unbolt the OD section of tranny 4-6 bolts Can't remember right off and take it to the tranny shop to swap as it requires an intermediate shaft and a press to reassemble to align the splines in the OD clutch pack.

• Like 1

Sounds like input shaft - like W+F said ......... my understanding is if you have nothing (F or R) then thats the likley culprit - whilst an output will create all kinds of havoc/noise - but the output can be fixed without tranny drop. I guess tehnically you could have a TC failure - eventually the TC clutch could be so worn it just spins - but not really sure - thinking you would have seen a bunch of clutch dust over last tranny fluid change and would have noticed some slipping prior to this if that was case.

Funny thing about the input shaft is from what I have read they generally break under boosted launching or very high HP ....... or hard lockps with 3x disk TC ........... do you know if you had been towing and moved into lockup ??

Anyway - either way if there's no sounds and you have no gears - your probably going to have to drop it to know for sure.

Where are you getting rebuilt and cost ?? Only thing is if it is your input shaft ..... and your clutches/bands are fine - then your tranny might not need a rebuild and that could waste some $$ .......

(W+F - can a snapped band do same thing ?? )

I dont know.I have never had to deal with auto trannys.I do know if the pump quits it will not push fluid.

Just guessing.

Should be able to disconnect one of the lines and allow the tranny to cycle fluid out (out line) - just have someone pouring atf back in the other end .... to check pump flow.

Flex plate - you might be able to take off the inspection plate at bottom and rotate the flexplate to inspect for cracks especially around the TC bolts.

Sounds like input shaft - like W+F said ......... my understanding is if you have nothing (F or R) then thats the likley culprit - whilst an output will create all kinds of havoc/noise - but the output can be fixed without tranny drop. I guess tehnically you could have a TC failure - eventually the TC clutch could be so worn it just spins - but not really sure The lockup clutch is just that a lockup feature. the converter still works like a normal converter its a fluid coupler - thinking you would have seen a bunch of clutch dust over last tranny fluid change and would have noticed some slipping prior to this if that was case.Slipping would only be noticed in drive and OD as this is when lockup occurs.

Funny thing about the input shaft is from what I have read they generally break under boosted launching or very high HP ....... or hard lockps with 3x disk TC ........... do you know if you had been towing and moved into lockup ??

There have been many that have snapped on 100% stock units as well. There is no rhyme or reason to stock shafts breaking.

Anyway - either way if there's no sounds and you have no gears - your probably going to have to drop it to know for sure.

Where are you getting rebuilt and cost ?? Only thing is if it is your input shaft ..... and your clutches/bands are fine - then your tranny might not need a rebuild and that could waste some $$ .......

(W+F - can a snapped band do same thing ?? ) No not if he lost everything at once.

Should be able to disconnect one of the lines and allow the tranny to cycle fluid out (out line) - just have someone pouring atf back in the other end .... to check pump flow.

Flex plate - you might be able to take off the inspection plate at bottom and rotate the flexplate to inspect for cracks especially around the TC bolts.

Replys in red within the quote.

• Like 1

I was towing when this happened. I was cruising at 65mph. I don't have the time to sit around and take the tranny apart. I bought a new one and a new TC. I have a guy in LA that builds my trannys. It cost me 1850 for the rebuild and that included a billet input shaft. I then called Goerend and they are overnighting me a new TC. The broken tranny will get opened up in a few weeks. I will report on the findings. Maybe though the input shaft will still be in the TC and we will know on Friday.

I am rolling again. I can spin the input shaft easily by hand in the old trans and it makes a grinding sound. So it looks like it was either the drum or the input shaft. We won't be taking it apart for awhile but if I remember I will take some pictures.

I pulled over and called AAA. They sent a flatbed for my truck and a wrecker for the boat. The boat was worth $250k so there was no way I could let it out of my sight. They took both the truck and car to a hotel then I found a sho a few days later to do the install.