• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HeyDriving today on highway - and around 60mph the truck starts to 'buck' gently like its missing fuel ?? Pressure gauge says 14 @ WOT and 16-17 regular.Me and ISX just put the old injectors out and put the oem ones back in (for the stall issue). It doesn't idle rough or appear to be missing (assumming missing in a diesel would sound like a rough idle/egnine etc).Not sure - Might stick some 2 stroke in it tomorrow - could one of the injectors be plugged/partial blocked ?? :shrug:

Hey Mike"edge filters in the connector tube" - whats this - heard you mention before but not sure ?? Guessing your saying there is a low (2 ?) micron filter in the connector tube - but still if this was holding something that would restrict flow to the injector right until broken up ? In that case I was hoping when I tow on WED the EGT's getting up would help break things up and clean the injector nossles - but no idea whats causing this ...... a little concerned it feels similar to a flow restriction of some kind - but my pressure is constant........ can't afford another vp44Stalling - unsure - unfortunately I haven't had a cold enough day to test - it hasnt stalled since - but it still drops a fair bit - ISX mentioned that it satlled on him when it was cold - so still waiting for a cold day to come - as we are off to AZ for the winter to work out of the phoenix office. Will be keeping a closer eye on it though and posting when I can determine for sure.john

• Owner

Posted Image

Each fuel injector connector tube contains an edge filter (Fig. 13) that breaks up small contaminants that enter the injector. The edge filter uses the injectors pulsating high-pressure to break up most particles so they are small enough to pass through the injector.

If there is actual debris inside the injector it will require you to remove them and clean the by disassembly. As far as I'm concerned there is no actual injector cleaner that will remove debris from inside the injector... You can soak it in cleaner and it wil still have debris in the injector... Sad but true...

• Like 1

Yeah kinda sitting on 60mph cruise control .... and it will buck a couple of times like missing fuel ........Happened about 4-5 times over last 2 days.Happened once at around 35mph.I tried flooring it to see what my fuel pressure was doing and if it happened under heavy fuel demand - no bucking and 14psi :shrug:

this "bucking" or "missing" happens to me once a month. happens at highway speed and at idle, with the cruise on or off. i fells like for a split second the injectors don't pop, and then it picks up like nothing happened. it leaves no codes. lately it has not been soo harsh, it feels like i let off the pedal(but i don't). i have check battery terminals and engine grounds and all seem ok. i was starting to think its my VP44 cause power is low, i have no codes, and the "bucking" happens once a month

Hey man

yeah similar - just started for me ....... going to have to monitor - hate to tow 1600 miles with issues like this though - no choice now - leaving WED :P

Wonder if I could be getting air in the fuel somehow - don't think so with my 2 micron fuel seperator - :shrug:

--- Update to the previous post...

hey guys

ok - I may have been mis-stating the symptom. I drove it a bit more and its not realy a bucking - its actually like a drop up/down in rpm when cruising ..... and especially happens when you have started to slow down, then step on the throtle to speed back up - starts to jump up/down in rpm.

So 2 thoughts were

1) Tranny - we took out the a/c clutch and wondering if somehow I know picked up the voltage "NOISE" issue. It doesnt feel like its shifting gear - and happens at all speeds (30, 45, 50, 60) so far. So not totally buying this one yet.

2) TPS - we had the throttle linkage off to the side when we did the injectors in order to get to the injector lines. Could something be miscalibrated now - where it cant get fuel/throttle settings quite right ? I thought there was a reset for this with battery disconnect as well as pushing throttle all the way dow ?? Can't find it - worth doing it ??

How come all you guys got bucking/missing/.. issues :lol: His batteries are brand new, remember he changed them out when it started stalling and it fixed it (till it got cold). Cables and everything looked good.

• Owner

Just a dumb though now getting my first dose of bucking and heard a couple of weak starts now. Trust me it had me jumping a bit when the start did its slow cranking... :stuned: (Not now...) So later on today I got to take a look at the start contacts and I know my batteries are on the last leg (green eyes are both black)...

Brand new batteries and the connectors never looked so clean :)

Can the APPS cause a jump up/down in RPM if it was not calibrated correctly or misaligned somehow???

Going to do the APPS reset tonight ............ but just stabbing in dark as we moved this .... because of the RPM move .... thinking not injectors (miss) ......... thoughts ?

--- Update to the previous post...

How come all you guys got bucking/missing/.. issues :lol:

Man - I wish it was a 220 typical buck ........ unfortunately - its a 24(v) buck ....... :lmao2:

Going to be interesting to see what the bucking feels like with 9000lbs towing behind me tonight

Hey guysok - so 2 days after this all happened it stopped. So I didn't do everything. We took off for AZ - no problems for 1st 4 hour trip to parents towing.Few days after that we start our big trip - almost straight away the rpm's start jumping all over the place and the truck 'bucking' etc ........ edge started alerting about MPH too high even though only doing 55. Noticed the sensor on the edge was all over the place - saying we doing 60 then 120 then 40 mph. So I call ISX and decide to do a APPS reset. Pull over - 40 mins battery disconnect and slowly depress throttle in and out with ignition to 'ON'.All sweet - truck has behaved beautifully for 1400 miles since - will update if any other issues :thumbup2:

That's odd... If RPM's are jumping all over the place typically it a cam/crank sensor going nuts... A error code would of shown that... :shrug:

:iagree: using a live data tool, you will see the TPS % jump around if you have a bad TPS/APPS sensor. a cam sensor(even crank sensor) would show fluctuating RPMs

:iagree: using a live data tool, you will see the TPS % jump around if you have a bad TPS/APPS sensor. a cam sensor(even crank sensor) would show fluctuating RPMs

Hey guys - just got in. No more issues. Silly - I forgot to look for codes at the time - and just did the disconnect on the road. No codes anymore and no more issues. This is what I did notice via EDGE monitoring. %TPS was stable about 39-40% RPM was stable around 1760 or something from memory MPH was ALL OVER THE PLACE That was the only thing - and once it hit like 120mph once or twice it felt like it was defueling. Resetting the APPS fixed the issue - but obviously this might also do other things like reset the edge or other ECM/PCM stuff ?? :shrug: Dunno - but everything else was fine - just that one thing all over the place - and my RPM + MPH on my dash were fine - only the edge MPH. eitehr way - a smooth ride into AZ except for one pass at 35mph @1150 EGT ........ dropped the hammer and pushed my RPM's higher in a higher gear and more boost with my jhook, overtook the F-350 doing 30mph and cruised on by .......... so all nice now just gotta talk to catjflynn/sasqaauch and others about towing - only getting 11-12mpg towing 10000 lbs ..... be nice to get more ........