• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

16" Wheels suggestions?

1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

What's the cost of an exhaust brake compared to 17" wheel and upgrading to 3rd gen ? Curious. :think:

Close to the same. Near or over 1k. Depends how much the rims cost, can get a powerstop kit from rockauto for about $500. I saw a BD exhaust kit for around 1100. There was a decent write up on CF for the 3rd gens.

Its two different theories of braking. If long hauling, exhaust and down shifting works real well. Or if immediate stopping power, larger brakes.

I found a LARGE improvement in stopping distance converting to 3rd gens. 

Also swapped down to 275/65R18 from 275/70s because of the dang fuel prices. Acceleration is better, also lie o meter saying 24-30mpg while cruising 60 now.

• Thanks 1

I have the dual disk brakes on my 02. I think the 02 was the only year for the 2nd gens (I think). Stopping power is pretty good even with carrying my 2800 lb camper. Have thought about installing a pacbrake. Could happen in the never ending project that is my truck. 

• Staff

I have thought about a pacbrake in the future. Presently, I tow an 11k fifth wheel occasionally. Maybe 3-5 trips a year. Usually within 125 miles from home, I live in north west Ohio so its mostly flat here. Can't quite justify the expense yet. If I were to start towing the camper further and hills and mountains come into play then it would definitely be on the table.

13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Or upgrade to an exhaust brake having better braking power. Best part brakes last over 250k miles if used properly. No added rotational mass like you end up with on heavier rotors, which will lower MPGs as 3rd Gen brakes will do.

I’ve got both.  And as far as having an auto I’d still recommend both. My EB opens back up at 30 mph or about 1,000 rpm. I can drop into second and first with the EB on. That helps more but  having nothing but brakes when it shuts off  especially when an idiot in a car cuts in front of you the bigger brakes definitely helps getting stopped. The amount of pedal pressure to stop is significantly less with the 3rd gen. As far as mileage I’ll never hit what Mike can. As far as weight my short bed is lighter than his long bed. 🤣

Edited by Threadzy
Added more info.
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 8:56 AM, Threadzy said:

As far as weight my short bed is lighter than his long bed.

As much of mine has rusted and fallen off, I'd be in a similar boat if not for the fiberglass camper shell.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2022 at 4:41 PM, Hutch24v said:

Thought I’d update this thread with the new wheels. Think I like them. Will take a bit of time to adjust. Still have the stock chrome wheels so i can always go back to them. What. Do you all think? 

01D5A16C-488C-4343-AAF9-8AEA0405D54F.jpeg

86422BD8-A6EA-4C10-8C34-F9304CB2EF55.jpeg

Nice