• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trans cooler nv5600

• Owner

Fast Coolers really don't do much other that give a fooled read that is lower because the sensor is away from the actual gear and the fluid appears cooler. What got me thing on those was when I was measuring fluid temps using a meat thermometer and just dipped in the hole was cooler than measure near the gear teeth which was way hotter. So Fast Cooler just moves the sender away from the source of heat and showing the cooled stagnate oil in the coolers. I've got no coolers but the temperature sensor near the PTO gear and give really good accurate reading being it closest to the gears. As for my set up I've heat shielded the exhaust pipe that was worth a good 30*F reduction in temperature. Now the only time I've seen high transmission temperatures was on my trip to Bridgeport CA where the head winds caused the rise being I'm pulling 17,500 pound total weight and bucking winds it was reaching 200 to 210*F since then no issues typically between 150 to 170*F running temperatures. 

I didn't opt for wrapping the pipe because of the amount of salt used out here that would soak up the salt and rot the exhaust pipe out faster. Even mud will do an excellent job of rotting out a wrapped pipe being every time it get wet it will soak through the fiberglass wrap. 

20220706_122416.jpg

Located next to the PTO gear. Using a ISSPro EV2 gauge been programmed for warning light of 225*F.

20220705_171503.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Proper ceramic coat from Swaintech or similar might work better than wrapping.. Proper meaning a thick, rough, porcelain colored coating.. surface is also good to get a top coat of flame proof black plaint to keep the jarring white color at bay..

Cerakote is more paint with ceramic in it. Not happy with the cerakote results on my brothers jeep headers.. still melted some plastic bits under hood..

Might be my dislike of exhaust wraps in general also coming through.. Any cloth that is attached to metal that can hold moisture just screams bad idea to me at least.. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I think heat shield is more what I need. If it dropped Mikes 30 degrees that would be good enough for me.  I pull a lot and just think I'm borderline on heating up the trans. I remember the conversation with Michael on the coolers now.  Im waiting on a response from Mobil on Delvac trans with GL 4. I see it advertised but when ordered its only MT 1. I found a new source that advertises gl 4 but they are 123.00 a gal. And you can never find a email to ask questions. May have to just order it and see what happens, can always return it I guess.

• 1 year later...
On 7/6/2022 at 2:43 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Fast Coolers really don't do much other that give a fooled read that is lower because the sensor is away from the actual gear and the fluid appears cooler. What got me thing on those was when I was measuring fluid temps using a meat thermometer and just dipped in the hole was cooler than measure near the gear teeth which was way hotter. So Fast Cooler just moves the sender away from the source of heat and showing the cooled stagnate oil in the coolers. I've got no coolers but the temperature sensor near the PTO gear and give really good accurate reading being it closest to the gears. As for my set up I've heat shielded the exhaust pipe that was worth a good 30*F reduction in temperature. Now the only time I've seen high transmission temperatures was on my trip to Bridgeport CA where the head winds caused the rise being I'm pulling 17,500 pound total weight and bucking winds it was reaching 200 to 210*F since then no issues typically between 150 to 170*F running temperatures. 

I didn't opt for wrapping the pipe because of the amount of salt used out here that would soak up the salt and rot the exhaust pipe out faster. Even mud will do an excellent job of rotting out a wrapped pipe being every time it get wet it will soak through the fiberglass wrap. 

Located next to the PTO gear. Using a ISSPro EV2 gauge been programmed for warning light of 225*F.

So a Geno's cooler (single sided) would be a waste of $$? I'm about to change my transmission oil and now would be the time to put a cooler on.  I don't tow much but on my last trip to Florida(not towing) my temps got as high as 205.  Did you make your own heat shields? or buy them somewhere?

Thanks,

Tim

I agree on the cooler giving a false reading no doubt. But I bought a Super Stick Transmission dipstick where they use the fass cooler for the dip stick access. You can actually add fluid if needed. Its a slow process but if you run your trans over full like most do it can save time. The shield on my truck is the same as the photo of Michael's I made mine outta piece of polished aluminum diamond plate and two muffler clamps.