• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Temp & Intake Air temps

@Mopar1970man - Was looking at one of your YouTube vids on some of your iQuad numbers and you mentioned on the phone to me earlier that your fuel and intake air are practically equal - or chasing each other as you said it in the vid. How are you achieving this? And is this any correlation to optimizing MPGs?  

My operating fuel temp is always higher than my intake air temp, probably 20-30 degrees higher if memory serves. They never get that close. Curious on others out there what they see. 

image.png.fcb9555a206326110ccf1110017bfd6e.png

My fuel temps never go higher than 105 to 107F ish give or take and mostly it's below 100f, yes here in the UK we don't see silly temperatures normally except for this year

I never let my fuel level go below 1/2 tank and it is usually over 3/4

My fuel return is back to the basket but I have a mechanical lift pump driven off of the crank and this sends some serious fuel volume back to tank at all times, my fuel filter is a Caterpillar item bolted to the intake manifold where the stock filter is but it is on insulating bushes

The biggest thing to help keep fuel temps low is a good return flow back to tank, yes after travelling miles especially in hot ambient air fuel temps will creep up due to the fuel having to remove heat from the VP fuel pump and not being able to shed heat easily at the tank in high ambient temps.

I have made a tube and stub to fit into the fuel filler neck hose all ready to go but my fuel temps never go high enough to warrant me fitting it

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Stock fuel filter still being used.

Yes stock filter and canister location.  Do i need to care if these numbers are different?  With all the diagnostics I monitor not sure i need to focus on them as a system. I am however on a crusade to increase my MPGs - without downsizing my tire size! Its still crazy to me Mopar1973man that you're able to achieve 28 MPGs!

On 8/8/2022 at 1:32 PM, Hutch24v said:

Curious on others out there what they see. 

I think those of us that have aftermarket fuel pumps where the fuel recycles through the pump versus going directly back to the tank are going to see higher fuel temps. Drawing from the same place as the fuel return doesn't help.

• Like 1