• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Coolant temp gauge bad or ecu failure?

Hello,

I have a late 1999 24 valve sport model appears to be 4 wheel abs, just extra information. Have edge comp, S&B cold air intake, 5 inch turbo back straight pipe, and RV injectors. Rest of truck is stock.

Anyway, I am just curious as to if it is normal for the stock temp gauge on the dash to be at 140*F on a cold engine in the summer. Sits for about a week then drive it off and on this summer 2022, temps reaching high 90*F. But yeah, when I go to use the truck after starting the temp gauge is already reading 140*F. I know that is not normal but I just would like a 2nd opinion. I also do have the Mopar1973Man High Idle/Eco Switch installed. It is switched off the whole time. I even changed the coolant temp sensor right by the t-stat housing. 

Is it possible the eco switch has died? Or is there a second temp sensor. It looks like the 12 valve has two sensors but not sure about the 24 valve. 

Or is it an ecu failure? I did read something about the gauge cluster is operated by the ecu so that is why I added this option.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thank you for your time!

I just turned the ignition on to check mine which is a 98.5, gauge goes straight to 140F with ignition on engine off, been out to get de ionised water this morning so engine isn't overnight cold and when I just started engine then it read what the temp was but not with just ignition on if that helps

• 2 weeks later...

@Mopar1973Man

Please excuse my late response. 
I unplugged the mods and put it back to stock. No change. Turn the key and goes straight to 140*F on the instrument cluster. I have noticed that the truck does get hotter faster according to the temp gauge which is odd. I have the 195*F tstat installed because of MN winters. And noticed the temp gauge goes over 200*F before going down some once the tstat opens and then the temp goes just under the 190*F mark. 

Not sure if this is all normal. But truck is 20+ years old. Just don't want to end up stranded on the side of the road for overheating.

I am tempted to get that scan gauge 2 module to see what the computer is actually reading for temps. 

As I posted before.  My truck goes to 140f with key on engine off, start it and it then reads temp.

With a 190f thermostat 200 before it opens is OK just as long as it drops back to 190f PDQ 

Do you know anyone with a scanner that reads live data? That would show you what's going on but I think you are fine. 

I take it if you drive it hard pulling a good grade temp is 190f or so ? I have a 190 stat and working hard mine gets to 197 ish and doesn't go higher for very long at all, I did see 200 Tuesday pulling the T Trailer in another thread but only for a few seconds and that was on a long 11% grade in 2nd gear

• Owner

Temps are normal. I run 193 to 197°F typically and could see 215 to 220°F before fully lock of the fan then it kicks I cools to 197°F. Then unlocks. I know once past 225°F the cluster will trip the check gauge light, chime and the gauge will peg at 240°F. It will not display any temp other that 240 till it drops below 225 again.

The OBDLink is a great little tool to have in your toolbox.  You can use it on multiple vehicles to read live data, scan for codes, and reset them.  Well worth the price.

https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional-Grade-Diagnostic-Performance/dp/B07JFRFJG6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3EB5A5STOMZBE&keywords=obdlink+mx&qid=1663602077&sprefix=obdlink%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-2

image.png.544a51b518368f749b93ca2bfe7570ec.png

• Like 1