• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Diesel engines

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Now that I've got you all paying attention just remember when your injectors are worn out and the droplets are getting big this is what causes misfire, black smoke and other performance issues. Why? Because the time the piston is coming up and the limited amount of heat available large droplets do not change from liquid to vapor to BANG. This is a reason why I went up to 320 bar on my pop pressure not down. As my injectors age the pop pressure will go down with wear and mileage. Injectors do not last past 100k miles typically. 

Cold air intake are not a help. Maybe in racing but not in daily driving. Like this morning it +17*F degrees outside. Optimal IAT temperatures for a daily driver is about 100*F to 140*F to get the most from the engine. Below +80*F the ECM will stack on another 3 to 4 degree advancement. This is where the Quadzilla tuner doesn't allow this to occur, but you keep your set timing. Warmer the air on a winters day the better BHAF with a winter front on the truck will work keeping the IAT temps up. This will improve the overall ignition process. Another in this realm is your normal cruising RPM faster pumping creates better heat for ignition like the fire piston in the video if you slide the piston to slow the there is less heat. Here is where final ratio comes to play 3.73 is optimal for 2nd Gen 24V truck. That puts you right at 65 MPH right close to 2k RPMs.

Just to make you all think...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

As soon as I get a shot at getting back into my shop...

• Installing a 200*F thermostat, better thermal efficiency. (6.7L Cummins)
  • Installing my winter fronts block out the cold air across the intercooler.
  • Possibly removing the engine fan. Depends on the future temperatures if they are going to remain this cold. 
  • Installing a new rear driveshaft u-joint.

Like tonight we all went up to Katie's Dad's place in New Meadows, ID to play on snowmobiles and then ate pizza and played cards. When we left there it was about 8pm at night the outside temperature was barely +20*F and the IAT was just barely 50*F. Below +80*F the air is just too cold. My MPG's are down and need to make changes to improve this because price of diesel is nearly $6 a gallon here. 

Minnie is no longer going to be used very much maybe on a good weather day drive it to Riggins, ID for minor shopping. Not really a good option with the snow and ice issues now. 

Thor has been parked in the yard and only been used once in the last month. Wrenching is slowing way down now with winter time coming. The only way Thor is being used is a emergency call for someone broke down. 

• Staff

Well, I think I'll be looking at winter fronts for my truck. @Genos Garage has them on sale right now, $89 for a 2nd gen winter front/screen system. Blocks cold air in winter and has a sceen to keep bugs out of the fins in the summer.

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Possibly removing the engine fan. Depends on the future temperatures if they are going to remain this cold. 

I didn't realize this could be done. I mean I know the trucks have pretty large radiators and efficient cooling systems but didn't think you could run with no fan at all. I'm sure they do in say Alaska but in the climate in my area I don't think you could get away with it. Maybe where your at you could though.

The past couple years I have put cardboard in between the radiator and intercooler. It helped some but not much. That's why I'm thinking much harder about the winter front from Genos. Seems like it would be a better option and easily adjustable if the Temps swing wildly like the sometimes do.

• Like 1

• Owner

You'll get better results if the grill is covered and blocking out most the air from passing over the intercooler. Yes I've ran couple of winters without the engine fan all together. No issues even idling in traffic.Yeah I've tested the cardboard idea in between but what I learned was the coolant temps rose fairly sharp and the IAT was still cold. This is why I cover the grill if the fan is still in place and the coolant temps rise for some reason (weather warmed up while traveling or climbing a grade with weight or trailer) then the fan can still keep coolant in check. But with cardboard in between no the fan can't keep it cool no air flow (or at least limited). Yeah That method I've seen a few high coolant temps. Like the last few morning have been right at +17*F. This morning is right at +25*F. Today I've got to dig out my winter fronts and install them. I'll grab a bit of video. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man