• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

98 standard cab latch won't tighten

So after I was T boned Christmas eve and my drivers door pushed in. I finally got my replacement door on after doing the inner and outer rocker and some rust repair. Now my door won't latch tight. I adjusted the striker as far in as it will go, I even changed the latch assembly. But I can not get the door to latch tightly, it just rattles because it acts like the latch is only tripped part way. I'm at my wits end. I've been without my main truck since Christmas because the person who hit me didn't have insurance and my carrier drug their feet getting an adjuster out....

The accident could have caused more damage than what was observed - not that unusual.   The impact likely distorted the door frame in a manner that is creating your problem.  You will have to study it some to find what is bent or twisted, then come up with a way to repair it.  Sometimes you can get creative and straighten something that seems impossible to straighten.

It is better to fix what is wrong rather than trying to make the door fit what is wrong.

Are you doing all of the work yourself?

- John

This was a bad deal, driver not paying attention (on her phone most likely) somehow missed the 6' snowdrift in the road and Dukes of Hazzarded it right into my truck. Not sure how she missed the red and blue lights, everyone else saw them. Fortunately the cab wasn't damaged beyond the inner rocker and some strategic pulling I got it. As soon as I get the fender back on I'll make sure to post pics. 

• Owner
32 minutes ago, roadrescueiowa said:

This was a bad deal, driver not paying attention (on her phone most likely) somehow missed the 6' snowdrift in the road and Dukes of Hazzarded it right into my truck. Not sure how she missed the red and blue lights, everyone else saw them. Fortunately the cab wasn't damaged beyond the inner rocker and some strategic pulling I got it. As soon as I get the fender back on I'll make sure to post pics. 

Please do... It really does help people understand the level of damage and what it took to repair your truck. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I got the paint on the bottom of the door. Still needs some adjustment to match the body lines 100%. But I've only had some nights and weekends to work on her. Accident happened Christmas Eve. Luckily I wasn't in the truck when it happened.  I took advantage of the rocker coming off to fix a rust hole behind the door. received_3356132624631022.jpeg.60fd9cf1b20e2d8b2c09ada5885a8d43.jpegreceived_1584149925404898.jpeg.09570c093507612acd70fad634ffa0d3.jpeg20230224_104225.jpg.1b264bcc4443a653de488260d112ef28.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Go to the articles in the 2nd Gen 24V and look at the 99 wiring map it complete. Has power window wiring. 

So in my research I've come across more posts/threads/articles saying adding power windows is plug and play.  Used a power window/lock door to replace my manual and swapped guts in my passenger and nothing.... I'm going to start a new thread so I can maybe help someone else. I did casually search the forum and didn't find much.