• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Death wobble issue rears it ugly head again

3 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Trackbar is shot, both ends had visible play in them. (It was a cheapo from RA) It only lasted 15k miles.

Looks like you may have found the source of your problem.  Hopefully, you have.

When you remove the track bar, be sure to closely inspect the end that connects to the axle.  If there is evidence of movement between the steel bushing inside the track bar and the mounting bracket ears, this means that the bolt was never tight enough.  The bolt may have been tightened to the correct torque value, but it wasn't enough to clamp the brackets solidly to the steel bushing.  There should be absolutely no movement here. 

If by chance the bracket ears are damaged from movement of the steel bushing, you will have to assess the damage.  It will be even more difficult to get the right clamping force if the bracket ears are damaged.

- John

• Staff
20 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

If by chance the bracket ears are damaged from movement of the steel bushing, you will have to assess the damage.  It will be even more difficult to get the right clamping force if the bracket ears are damaged

Let's hope that's not the case. 

When I installed that trackbar I put as much torque on that bolt as I could. I know the spec is something like 250-or more lbs/ft of torque.

• Staff

Ordered the trackbar today at my local Napa. They should have it tomorrow morning. I also got a quote from them on the right outer drag link, inner drag link and left inner tie rod. The left outer was the only one that I replaced a year ago and is still good. 

For those 3 parts they quoted $203 which I didn't find to bad honestly. I'll reuse the adjusting sleeves and leave the left outer on the truck.

BTW, the trackbar I ordered has a limited lifetime warranty, we'll see how that works out. 

Next decision will be: Which steering damper to go with? Should I get a Rancho rs5000, a factory type? Is there a better option? I'd like to have something durable and somewhat heavy duty. It is a heavy truck after all. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

Next decision will be: Which steering damper to go with?

Not saying that this is the best steering damper, but this is the one I purchased from Geno's Garage.  It is definitely more heavy duty than the NAPA one it replaced -  5/8" shaft vs. 1/2" shaft and a larger diameter cylinder.  Also, I've never known Geno's to sell marginal products.

- John

image.png.8ee7a4f182fc06a6ab9009d86f6ef381.png

Edited by Tractorman
duplicate photo
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 7:08 PM, Doubletrouble said:

Did a bit of reading online. What I found is apparently most of Napa's lifetime warranty steering and suspension parts are made by dana/Spicer. Anyone else heard this or anything to the contrary?

NCP (Napa's premium line) is made by Moogs parent company, hence the same part number as Moog. While I'm not a fan of actual MOOG, I do prefer to use NCP napa chassis components. After someone so graciously forced me to replace my steering components, I used a 3rd Gen steering kit from MOOG for $588 plus a new 2ng gen Pitman Arm I have Zero steering issues. As far as the Trac bar goes I replaced the cheap rubber bushing at the axle end with a polyurethane piece I had in my toolbox. Pretty sure it was half of a link bar joint that got tossed in an order. The rubber doesn't last long around here with the crappy roads.

• Like 2

• Staff

@roadrescueiowa, the track bar I got from Napa is of the ncp line,  as well as most of the tie rods that i have yet to order. I did look around for a factory replacement track bar with a poly bushing but couldnt seem to find one so hoping this one lasts longer than the one I'm replacing. It died after 15k.

Also need to decide on a steering damper soon too. Track bar was the worst piece by far so wanted to get that replaced asap.

The y-type steering may be best for folks that off-road a lot. My truck rarely leaves smooth terrain, not needing lots of articulation so I put on the t-style and like it a lot.

Changing control arms was NOT fun at around 280k miles. Buy new bolts, have your smoke wrench handy.

I bought an A/C Delco Gold track bar and it's very heavy duty compared to others I have seen. It may be a rebranded MOOG for all I know, so also available at NAPA under their naming system.

The yellow Bilsteins didn't last as long as I'd hoped on the front of the truck. I hypothesize that constantly running in the same 1/2" of travel on smooth roads just made them wear very fast in one place, versus a little wear along a longer travel. Replaced with KYB per Moparman recommendation.

• Staff

I put KYB's on the front last year. So far I like them. 

I replaced the track bar today. I also removed the steering damper, made it easier to do the TB anyway. I checked the damper, at first it had a dead spot in the center of travel. I cycled it all the way in both directions and it went away. I put it back on for now but I will be replacing it 

Also, I inspected the old track bar compared to the new. It's the same one, identical markings. I believe they're both made by moog. The last one had only 15k on it so now I don't expect much more from this one. Ugh. It did help some though. Went for a drive and the front end feels a bit tighter. 

Hoping once all the tie rods are replaced and a new steering damper on there it'll tighten up some more. It's not terrible but I feel it could be better.

I recently chucked my damper in the trash and have no intention of replacing it. Not all trucks came with them, right? Was it a trim level marketing thing, a band aid to death-wobble, or something else? I ran awhile with a clearly useless and worn out damper, then put on a damper that wore out quickly in highway driving, and now the truck is damper free. Can't really tell a difference!