• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What helicopter is this?

ISX

I just went to the website of the base around here and they got nothing but apache pictures and they all look the same as what I got a pic of. Guess that narrows it down :lol: There were 2 fighters flying right next to each other about 20 min later. What I don't understand is why the helicopter has the same path, every single time. I assume they just follow an aerial route or something. Probably like "go over the guys house who always has his hood open, then turn around and go back over it, then leave, if he looks to be up to no good, circle him a few times". They do circle a few times a lot :lmao:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Yes Sir, those would be Apaches. How close are you to the airfield? And which airfield is it? You are probably on a training or approach/departure route. I would guess with the circling your just outside tower's airspace and they circle when they can't contact tower.

Yes Sir, those would be Apaches.

How close are you to the airfield? And which airfield is it?

You are probably on a training or approach/departure route. I would guess with the circling your just outside tower's airspace and they circle when they can't contact tower.

The seem to head diagonally circling my house then going torwards sedalia until I can't see them, they usually circle back around before getting to sedalia.

Posted Image

• Staff

The 1-135 ARB is part of the Missouri National Guard and they are located on the Whitman AFB.

Looking at that map it appears they are doing traffic patterns at the Sedalia Memorial Airfield, probably IFR (Instrument Flight Rules).

If I remember correctly they are one of the last AH-64A Battalions (like us) in the military. All the A models are being turned into D models (Longbows).

--- Update to the previous post...

Looks to me like they could be in the procedure turn for NDB 18.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1011/05584N18.PDF

Oh for petes sakes that dot in the middle is my damn house, they do that exact pattern around it. I knew they had to be saying "start turning when you see the guy with his hood opens house". They also do the same pattern for the B2 bombers. What exactly are they doing, just testing instruments or training?

Oh for petes sakes that dot in the middle is my damn house, they do that exact pattern around it. I knew they had to be saying "start turning when you see the guy with his hood opens house". They also do the same pattern for the B2 bombers. What exactly are they doing, just testing instruments or training?

We're watching you ISX ......... we KNOW EVERYTHING :evilgrin:

I am a total goof for them flyin machines.:cookoo: I run like a 7 year old that hears the ice cream truck whenever i hear choppers.Yesterday i was 12 feet up on scaffolding i set my stuff down and ran out the building:hyper: only to find out that a lawn mower reflected sound into this echo chamber of a factory i am working on.:lol:

I am a total goof for them flyin machines.:cookoo: I run like a 7 year old that hears the ice cream truck whenever i hear choppers. Yesterday i was 12 feet up on scaffolding i set my stuff down and ran out the building:hyper: only to find out that a lawn mower reflected sound into this echo chamber of a factory i am working on.:lol:

:lmao: I do the same thing. In fact the apache was back out yesterday. One thing that will drive you nuts is that when the B2 bomber comes, you will hear it AFTER it goes by. When it is coming towards you or above you, you can't hear anything, but after it gets passed you it sounds like a normal jet. I would have thought the noise would hit you before it did because it only goes like 550mph. They sure made it stealthy.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working in Little Rock, Arkansas for a few weeks and there is an air force base just north of where we are and I watched planes/jets/helicopters all day. I went to their website and traced down what I was seeing.

The main thing I saw was C-130J aircraft flying in a line of up to 4. I saw a couple banking hard and there was a little brownish looking smoke trail behind each prop. That was really neat.

Posted Image

The next thing I saw flying all around really loud was some little fighter jet. It looked a lot smaller than any of the ones on their site so not sure on that one. Think it was one of these thunderbirds.

Posted Image

I then watched a helicopter flying really low and just doing donuts everywhere. No pics of helicopters on their site but from the list of air force aircraft but I think it was one of these UH-1 Iroquios. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UH-1_Iroquois

Surprisingly not. The overall dimentions are very similar, and in most mission profiles the Apache is heavier. They also both use the same engines.

Overall as in length and width? I could believe that. The blackhawk just looks like it has a lot of room for the crew while the apache just sacrifices it for weapons. Seemed a lot slower than the apache too.

• Staff

Overall as in length and width? I could believe that. The blackhawk just looks like it has a lot of room for the crew while the apache just sacrifices it for weapons. Seemed a lot slower than the apache too.

The Blackhawk is designed to haul passengers, and the crew sit side-by side; where the Apache only holds 2, and we sit in tandem, so the shape is much different. When you compare outside dimensions is when they are very close. Speed is all relative, depending on distance, location, and what the mission is. Sometime we are faster, but most times they can out run us. All those missile and rocket pods aren't the most aerodynamic. Believe it or not but the Chinook is the fastest helo in the Army inventory.