• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trans problems

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

3.30:1 final ratio with an extra tall 4th gear at 0.68 compared to manuals at 0.75 or 0.73. This is a huge amount of stress on clutches and bands.

Screenshot_20230921_101325_Chrome.jpg

Now remove OD and do the calc in 3rd lockup which I use 99% of the time, I've said time and again on this forum that 3rd Lockup is perfect for my truck on UK roads, I'm at 2k at 50mph, I used OD as an overdrive and never use it when towing unless downhill for a long stretch

Do the calc without OD and tell me it's wrong, it will be closer to 4.55 or better

I've done hard towing up bumpy mountain dirt roads before and spent most of the time in 2nd gear.

I don't think the tranny was designed for it. It puts a lot on the band and hub.  Plus the direct clutch is un locked but the plates sliding past each other so lots of lube is required. 

The engineers probably didn't envision continuous 2nd gear use.

• Owner

I've seen a 46RE and a 47RE struggle to handle Idaho mountain roads. Both cases run like 15 to 25 MPH running up a narrow single-lane road at grades of 12% to 16% on average and these transmissions are not designed to run unlocked in 2nd gear forever. Lil' Red I've managed to run that transmission rather hot a few times trying to just get to the next pullout so I was not shut down in the middle of the road. I have a few client trucks running hot as well on the same road system. You just can't run 15 to 25 MPH on a dirt road with an unlocked torque converter that is just churring heat out. Auto's were not a good option for towing and climbing long mountain grades. The only way I can see getting around this would be to send your valve body to Dynamic Transmission in WA and have him modify the valve body so you have lock up in every gear. This way you can manually call for lock-up in any gear and that would cut the heat. 

Manual transmissions hold up to the mountain roads way better than any automatic. Braking resistance is better and coupled with an exhaust brake it's even better. In my two trucks I can drive almost anywhere and not really ever touch the service brakes very much. A good reason I get 200k to 250k miles out of a set of brakes and rotors. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Great work! said:

I've done hard towing up bumpy mountain dirt roads before and spent most of the time in 2nd gear.

I don't think the tranny was designed for it. It puts a lot on the band and hub.  Plus the direct clutch is un locked but the plates sliding past each other so lots of lube is required. 

The engineers probably didn't envision continuous 2nd gear use.

Should have stopped and shifted to low 

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've seen a 46RE and a 47RE struggle to handle Idaho mountain roads. Both cases run like 15 to 25 MPH running up a narrow single-lane road at grades of 12% to 16% on average and these transmissions are not designed to run unlocked in 2nd gear forever. Lil' Red I've managed to run that transmission rather hot a few times trying to just get to the next pullout so I was not shut down in the middle of the road. I have a few client trucks running hot as well on the same road system. You just can't run 15 to 25 MPH on a dirt road with an unlocked torque converter that is just churring heat out. Auto's were not a good option for towing and climbing long mountain grades. The only way I can see getting around this would be to send your valve body to Dynamic Transmission in WA and have him modify the valve body so you have lock up in every gear. This way you can manually call for lock-up in any gear and that would cut the heat. 

Manual transmissions hold up to the mountain roads way better than any automatic. Braking resistance is better and coupled with an exhaust brake it's even better. In my two trucks I can drive almost anywhere and not really ever touch the service brakes very much. A good reason I get 200k to 250k miles out of a set of brakes and rotors. 

It was a one off and the 5th I have now is much lighter AND after that I learnt the hard way to not trust a sat nav  even when it's set for real trucks cos the things are stupid sometimes

Already asked about a valve body and trans but no international shipping 

gen 2 4x4 cummins manuals are rocking horse ~~~~ here,  yesterday I found a truck pretty much the same as mine for sale  nearly £16k   paint was perfect though, mine isn't

• 2 weeks later...

Trans after changing the oil and adjusting the bands now seems to be changing ok,   brake accumulator now gone bad,new hydro boost arrived from Summit in 2 days to the UK

Collected my AM General M50 yesterday.......  biggest laugh I've had in decades, filled the tank with 40 litres of  unidentifiable engine oil (new maybe 10w/40) 20 litres of petrol (gas) 20 litres of diesel and 20 litres of Cat 50W axle oil, ran great

• Like 4