• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV450 5speed blew at 184k miles.

Did you have your pick up on a lift . Did you have a good transmission jack? I helped a buddy do a clutch years ago on a square body Chevrolet. ( my only real transmission experience) What a s@#$show that was😂. Laying in the dirt underneath the truck manually bench pressing the tranny into the pilot bearing

• Staff

I did mine in my gravel driveway. I laid a large piece of plywood under the truck to have a hard sufa e for the floor jack to roll on. I removed the trans with that. It worked well. I tore it all down myself. When reinstalling I had my boys come over to help. I'll warn you, that trans is HEAVY. They run about 200lbs. 

When reinstalling it was a bit of a fight with the new shafts, new clutch. The new machined splines and such just don't glide in, they tend to be a bit sticky. It was worth the effort. Had I not flipped the 1st gear shift collar the wrong way this would have been perfect. So far she shifts like butter. The clutch is broken in now and smooth. Even being heavy duty the clutch takes no more effort than the oem.

• Owner

I've been pulling 5 and 6 speeds in my shop with the truck on level ground and only using a floor jack. I've got tricks on how to tie a transmission to a floor jack using one ratchet strap. Then learn other tricks for 3rd Gens and up on getting one stabbed easier than normal. Which happened to be the last clutch job I'll ever do. Was on a G56 transmission 2008 Ram 3500 and did a dual disc clutch on the floor. Give me a call sometime I'll have to explain how to wrap the ratchet strap and where to hook on the floor jack.

• Like 2