• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1999 24v cummins changes engine tone while keeping steady speed on highway

@Great work! Ive done the vacuum pump before, it does suck to get off buy i got it done. And thats a great idea for the cover, if i didnt have a gasket ordered i would deffinetly do it that way but now that ill have an actual gasket and not just rvt i should be good. @IBMobile yea brazing would probably be the best bet i have a little lincoln 140 welder i could probably trigger and build up some tacks  but brazing would probably be easier. What rod do you use? Like the 50%+ silver stuff used for brazing copper to steel and other dissimilar metals? I went to highschool for hvac so im very familiar with brazing and brazing copper to aluminum, copper to steel ect. 

Never heard of a rod with copper in it like that, i always used the 56% silver **** expensive af though. And @Mopar1973Man so i threw in my 150hp injectors yesterday and boy does this thing run good like a raped ape. Idles at 799-800 rpm and load at idle is 7% anyway when i had the throttle linkage off i notice my pump already has a pump tap cover. Its a bd pump that my buddy who had the truck before me put on. They must put them on from factory theres a small set screw in it. I just need the long pointed set screw, any idea where i could get one? 

@Mopar1973Man i ended up making one for it found the thread size of  the set screw and got an allen head cap screw threw it in a drill and spun it up and grinded a perfect point on it with a flap disk, worked mint. Now im trying to see if i can buy a cheaper fuel pressure sensor than quadzillas. Im trying to find out the pin orientation so i can find one with the same specs, theres so many with the same plug type but not sure on pin orientation

• Owner

ISSPro might work too you would have to ask Quadzilla if the impedance will be correct so the pressure display is correct. This is the only reason I don't like screwing around because the wrong sender will produce wrong values and accuracy will be lost.

Screenshot_20240417-150354.png.dc78c10497fb3fee0c306a61991b97fd.pngI found out the part number for the pressure sensor for the quad fuel sensor its a gm sensor lol. Any way i got the 150s in this thing and it hauls the mail and then some but i wana start getting into the custom tuning side im already sick of how much it will smoke and now it likes to buck when i take off from second i use to be able to let the clutch out no gas and take off now i have to give it some pedal so it wont buck. Anyway this is what i did on the custom tuning ill most likely stay on level 0 most of the time but i wanted to see if you think i should change anything to make driveability better with the 150sScreenshot_20240417-150514.png.091debb50acc34fc05623905bf9c60bd.pngScreenshot_20240417-150535.png.c289c8df75a12c1b17c8665271c37a9b.pngScreenshot_20240417-150612.png.35eefab450e4367abfd2eaa5844a2ec0.pngScreenshot_20240417-150710.png.fafd302aaeb865d3226d195d7115e44b.pngScreenshot_20240417-150430.png.8a34c5b5912881d7e45c20c816a9c5ef.png

• Owner
Posted (edited)

Sadly, that tune is not going to work very well at all. Too retarded in timing all the way. Wire tap set up wrong won't work correctly. Then fueling table is set up incorrectly. 

NOTE: Even the stock ECM tune can hit 30 degrees of timing its just a matter of WHEN.

NOTE: Min / Max TPS should never be the same being wire tap will only work at 75%. <75% and >75% wire tap is disabled.

NOTE: 100% fuel table entry is just say mirror stock. Any value above 100% is adding fuel. Any value below 100% is cutting fuel.

NOTE: Like usual most try to bring the wire tap in too early and not have a supporting fuel table to aid in power. (Cut rate fuel table)

Just for point of reference...

66 MPH for Beast is 2,000 RPM's with my 7x0.010 injectors popped at 320 bar I'm at 24* to 26* of cruise timing and EGT's are below 600*F. Your current cruise timing is 15.9 degrees at 2,000 RPM only if engine load is <20%.

Screenshot_20240226_185826_iQuad.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Screenshot_20240418-144555.png.6656640fdcb0314d0a2c534a2cf64279.pngScreenshot_20240418-144630.png.e58a192b001bb074273e61e5d5787912.pngScreenshot_20240418-144702.png.fdeee4151138cfb5e6d3e31b8bd64055.pngScreenshot_20240418-144732.png.3824469335c2766a11173e6bac8cae26.pngScreenshot_20240418-144804.png.e55c398907458d624042e994719d6e68.pngThe 75% 75% was supposed to be at 25% 75%, but any way i got some recommendations from some people on a 1badvp44s form on facebook and this is the tune i loaded its not half bad, deffinetly better than the default tunes for the 150s. Still bucks slightly but alot better my valet mode is 80% and it seems to like that aswell defffinetly room for improvement though. I wana get something dialed in thats tame down low, not a ton of smoke up top, and just all around daily/ pull my 4k pound camper

• Owner

Trick.

Figure a point like your 15 PSI of your wire tap. Now ramp up the fuel map from 100% to 150% from 15 to 30+ PSI of the fuel table. Now there should be a stock 100% realm from say 5 PSI to that 15 PSI of the table. This allows for a wide range of stock power cruise state that not adding fuel more or less running on the injectors only. This keep efficiency up. Now when you dig in the throttle and boost builds past 15 PSI CanBus is ramping up at the same time as the wiretap stack that 180 HP on and could possibly spin a tire. My truck at 45 MPH 4th gear climbing 7% grade Beast has be known to roll a bit of blue smoke off the tires. Does it work? Heck yeah it does! I've scared a few friend haulin' :moon:up that canyon. :burnout2:

• Owner

Another trick turn off the Quadzilla complete and run level 0 for a few days and make note of the timing at different RPMs. Now, I can tell you stock is 20 to 21 degrees of timing at 2,000 RPM. The whole idea is to provide that extra timing to make it more efficient not to retard the timing to make it even worse. This is why I'm giving clues on how to figure out timing. 

Optimal timing engine oil temperature should be at least 30*F cooler than coolant. 

Optimal timing will have the LOWEST engine for at speed.

Optimal timing will have the LOWEST EGT's for at speed.

The best way to learn timing and its curves is to watch stock values for a few weeks and then build a tune that closely follows stock and now starts advancing equally up the RPM. If you are stepping by +3, +4, or +5 degrees per band that way to have an even curve following RPM's. 

Lol is this like a dont kiss dont tell kinda thing? I see you giving me a bunch of tips which i appreciate a million but to get the real awnsers its a pay to play kinda deal huh? Lol i would to if i had a brain like yours, alot of money to be made in a market like this. Do you still make tunes for the adrenaline? I see alot of people going to 1badvp44 for their tunes, maybe ill bite the bullet and get one done. Ill deffinetly try what you said though and watch the stock timing for a bit and go from there and see what i come up with

• Owner

When I've created tunes that allow me to cross the entire state of Washington from Seatlle to the Idaho border for only 1/4 tank of fuel I'd say I've got the efficiency part down to a science. The difference is I build for efficiency 1BadVp44 builds for racing. Rules are different for both.

Ahh i see,  well you still get the tires to smoke in 4th so id say your tunes pretty efficient on the fun side of things too lol. How much would one run me if i had you make me one up, thats if your still doing them no idea if you still do or not?

Also what's the set up on your truck? Mines stock turbo with boost elbow, dap 7x0.010 sac injectors, volant intake, s&b intake horn. Stock down pipe to 4in under the cab for about a foot then to 5in dump infront of rear wheels

• Owner
7 hours ago, daav544 said:

Ahh i see,  well you still get the tires to smoke in 4th so id say your tunes pretty efficient on the fun side of things too lol. How much would one run me if i had you make me one up, thats if your still doing them no idea if you still do or not?

Also what's the set up on your truck? Mines stock turbo with boost elbow, dap 7x0.010 sac injectors, volant intake, s&b intake horn. Stock down pipe to 4in under the cab for about a foot then to 5in dump infront of rear wheels

100 dollars a tune. I will update as many times as needed in 30 days. 

There is several other factors needs to be looked at. Like final ratio needs to be 3.55 to 3.73 after tires. Like Beast I went from 265/75 R16 to 245/75 R16 which is one inch smaller but changes to a final ratio of 3.69:1 after tires.

Optimal IAT is 80 to 140°F

Optimal thermostat 200°F (experimental)

Optimal fuel temp <140°F

Optimal cetane <45 cetane

My tires are bald as a babys *** 215/85-16s that im guna be changing soon for almost new 235/85-16s and my rear gear is 4.10. today while driving at 80mph  i was watching my coolant and oil temp and coolant stayed around 200-205 and oil was like 175-178 timing would fluctuate from **** 17-20ish but seemed to be around 18ish most the time. And as far as cetane goes how do you figure that out?

Also what is the reason the final ratio needs to be 3.55 to 3.73 after tires?  I also noticed on the adrenaline when it asks you your tire size the values it allows you to type in are like 95in 120in? Are they going by the circumference of the tire? But most deffinetly will be talking about getting a tune with you in the next week or two

I also noticed on the adrenaline when it asks you your tire size the values it allows you to type in are like 95in 120in? Are they going by the circumference of the tire?

I believe you are correct.  A 245/75 R16 tire is about 30.5" inches in diameter (30.5 x 3.14 equal 95.77 inches in circumference).

Also what is the reason the final ratio needs to be 3.55 to 3.73 after tires? 

This is more of a perception or a "feels like" ratio comparison.  I have never seen or heard of a good explanation regarding this comparison, but I think it has validity.  Here is what it means to me.  I am apologizing ahead of time if it gets too confusing.

A lot of people believe that the 3.73:1 axle (beginning in the 3rd generation trucks) was the best axle ratio for towing performance when equipped with the stock 265/70 R17 tires and wheels.  I tend to agree, it fits right in the middle of a 3.54:1 and a 4.10:1. 

*  The 265/70 R17 tire is 31.6" diameter (3rd generation)

*  The 265/75 R16 tire is 31.6" diameter (2nd generation stock tire installed on later 2nd generation trucks)

*  The 245/75 R16 tire is 30.5" diameter (2nd generation specified on driver side door jamb)

From this point on, the only way to fairly demonstrate how tire size affects different axle ratio comparisons is to find a gear that is common in all transmissions for the 2nd generation trucks and the early 3rd generation trucks.  This common gear is a direct gear in which the engine rpm (transmission input shaft) and the transmission output shaft rpm are equal.  The direct gear is different in different transmissions as shown below:

NV4500  - 4th is direct gear

NV5600 -  5th is direct gear

47RH, 47RE, 48RE - 3rd with converter locked is direct gear

Note that when comparing with automatic transmissions, the converter must always be locked. 

From this point forward it will be assumed that all axle ratio comparisons or tire size ratio comparisons or transmission comparisons will be in direct gear without mentioning the word "direct gear".

So, back to the tire size and axle ratio comparisons.

The standard to shoot for is the 265/70 R17 tire (31.6" dia) with a 3.73 axle on a 3rd generation truck.

It turns out that the 265/75 R16 tire on the second generation truck is also 31.6" dia, but with a 3.54 axle.  So, knowing that the tire diameter is the same for both trucks, the 3.73 axle will put more engine torque to the ground than the 3.54 axle.

So, what if we put a 245/75 R16 tire (30.5" dia) on the 2nd generation truck?  The smaller diameter will make the 3.54 axle "feel like" it is performing like a 3.69 axle - just like @Mopar1973Mansays.

That's all folks.

- John

Im still not fully understanding this, does the ratio have to be one of those specified for moparman to be able to test the tune on his truck or something and can confirm it will act similarly on my truck? Im just not fully getting the reasoning behind it, cus anyone with any gear ratio imaginable could make their own tune for their trucks and it wouldnt matter right? This is for someone making someone a tune to be able to say yes this will work with these gear ratios and act how I thin it will because the final ratios are similar?

Also @Mopar1973Man i read one of your write ups on the adrenaline and noticed this about levels 0-3 and you say they are always the same and will never change. So if i make a tune outside of the default tunes nothing i do at all will make 0-3 feel any different? (Aside from valet%) I have a tune labeled daily and from what im reading levels 0-3 will not change even if i completely changed the tune parameters like the can bus percentages and timing? Or am i reading that wrongScreenshot_20240423-002739.png.d5fd08cf98aed5c68b98683610b3e80c.png