• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

OK guys, my engine stalling when the put in drive is back with the winter fuel blend.

So i just got off the phone with DTT, they were more then happy to send me to bill.So far i have found that the gear shift linkage was binding towards what seems to be the reverse side on the neutral detente. When i loosened the shifter screw holder it slid down and now site just right.I also readjusted the T.V. Cable and reset it so that it has a bit more then 1/16's inch play, i also learned that you can see your TV lever from the engine room, i made sure that my TV lever was at rest before i pinned the TV cable down.The last part of the quandary is the no second gear shifting issue, which bill and i discussed. He said the lack of 2nd gear is a lockup timing valve that is in, but since i didn't have an exhaust brake there was no need to have it in backwards to allow for true exhaust braking, so he said that when im ready to do my fluid change to call him up and he will walk me though it. Speaking to Bill, helped me out alot in understanding things. When we looked at my build sheet, i never told them i was going to add a Pac Brake, must have slipped my mind. I'll report back in a few days with some news about the frequency of the stalling, as realigning the gearshift linkage seems to have made it less frequent.

• 2 weeks later...

Well all of the readjustments make my stalling less prevalent. however its still stalls very much so frequent.The stalling is not so violent now,as it was before, which i think is a good thing, but im still perplexed as to WTF is going on.Im suspecting a screwed up valve body still as the other day my truck wouldn't shift out of 2nd when in drive.:banghead:I so badly want to just hotshot with my truck again and this is not happening. At least on the bright side i have the sound system to work on, im down to just 2 rear working speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

thought ide bring everyone up to speed here

I don't think injectors would cause this because when i first installed this trans for the first 1,000 miles it ran fine.

I have started my truck up when it was 10-20F it and just thrown it into gear without the slightest issues, only after replacing the VP-44 did these issues start to exacerbate themselves.

Here is another video showing me rising the RPM's to both 1,000- 1,100 and 1,200 RPM's before dropping it into Drive range.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZdYKgf5-FU

Here we hagve the not leaving gear hanging gear issue, and IDK what gear its stuck in BTW>

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC4hLuH5KSU

Another video of the truck up to temperature idling for maybe 10 mins and it stalls every time going into gear.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2_y49_3VI

Mike (mopar1973man), think that the old VP-44 was just covering up a transmission issue that has since deteriorated to the point where even DTT doesn't know what to make of it.

Im almost convinced myself to let Lannings Diesel in A look at the truck and have them swap in a Goerend VB to rule out this DTT one for once and for all.

I have some videos of the truck doing really crazy chit from the last 3 days, its so odd that the truck is acting up. My stalling has gone completely away when the trans is up to 180F however, she now has strange and weird shifting issues.

On i think Tuesday....

As for more good news my truck finally left me stranded today:banghead:

I drove up to town went to the bank, then went to the pain store (next town up). I went in got my Ospho Rust paint then went to back up she stalled, i freaked out.

I then started her up, threw her in reverse again, and she was fine, then put her in drive to drive away and she stalled again, :hehe:

So i then went to Costco, after buying my food, i went out loaded it into the truck then started her up threw her in reverse and bam she stalled out again:rof. I was like WTF this is new. Then i started her up again and she stalled. i repeated this about 10 times without any change, she stalled going into both reverse and drive, and it didn't matter how soon or late i threw it into gear.

After 30 mins of this i called up my g/f had her come up and then get our nicely warm food and go home.

So i called my buddy up who drives a wrecker and we were planning on getting it tomorrow, but he couldn't borrow the truck so we went tonight around 10 ish. Went up and got the truck started and put her in reverse she stalled again. (After some curse words) i tried again and she didn't stall this time. So i backed her out then put her in drive and then she stalled (which was expected) then i started her up, she shook like a dancer then went into gear. everything was fine until i hit the next town with their traffic lights, when this came up, so i decided to shoot a video.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HmId_GbUpQ

Shanti said to send this video so ima sending it with the others well see what they think. Im hoping to have this issue fixed and DTT is trying, but not sure what can be done at this point.

thought ide bring everyone up to speed here

I don't think injectors would cause this because when i first installed this trans for the first 1,000 miles it ran fine.

I have started my truck up when it was 10-20F it and just thrown it into gear without the slightest issues, only after replacing the VP-44 did these issues start to exacerbate themselves.

Here is another video showing me rising the RPM's to both 1,000- 1,100 and 1,200 RPM's before dropping it into Drive range.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZdYKgf5-FU

Here we hagve the not leaving gear hanging gear issue, and IDK what gear its stuck in BTW>

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC4hLuH5KSU

Another video of the truck up to temperature idling for maybe 10 mins and it stalls every time going into gear.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2_y49_3VI

Mike (mopar1973man), think that the old VP-44 was just covering up a transmission issue that has since deteriorated to the point where even DTT doesn't know what to make of it.

Im almost convinced myself to let Lannings Diesel in A look at the truck and have them swap in a Goerend VB to rule out this DTT one for once and for all.

I have some videos of the truck doing really crazy chit from the last 3 days, its so odd that the truck is acting up. My stalling has gone completely away when the trans is up to 180F however, she now has strange and weird shifting issues.

On i think Tuesday....

As for more good news my truck finally left me stranded today:banghead:

I drove up to town went to the bank, then went to the pain store (next town up). I went in got my Ospho Rust paint then went to back up she stalled, i freaked out.

I then started her up, threw her in reverse again, and she was fine, then put her in drive to drive away and she stalled again, :hehe:

So i then went to Costco, after buying my food, i went out loaded it into the truck then started her up threw her in reverse and bam she stalled out again:rof. I was like WTF this is new. Then i started her up again and she stalled. i repeated this about 10 times without any change, she stalled going into both reverse and drive, and it didn't matter how soon or late i threw it into gear.

After 30 mins of this i called up my g/f had her come up and then get our nicely warm food and go home.

So i called my buddy up who drives a wrecker and we were planning on getting it tomorrow, but he couldn't borrow the truck so we went tonight around 10 ish. Went up and got the truck started and put her in reverse she stalled again. (After some curse words) i tried again and she didn't stall this time. So i backed her out then put her in drive and then she stalled (which was expected) then i started her up, she shook like a dancer then went into gear. everything was fine until i hit the next town with their traffic lights, when this came up, so i decided to shoot a video.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HmId_GbUpQ

Shanti said to send this video so ima sending it with the others well see what they think. Im hoping to have this issue fixed and DTT is trying, but not sure what can be done at this point.

Wow

Dunno man but I think your fighting 2 issues.

1 with the tranny.

Another with the stall.

Id get the first one fixed with DTT - have them replace the VB and send them the video. Its not shifting when it should - and thats on them as far as I see it.

Then see where your at with the stall.

:thumbup2:

Whats DTT saying ??

I like the commentary - could feel your pain but was laughing at same time also !!

Wow Dunno man but I think your fighting 2 issues. 1 with the tranny. Another with the stall. Id get the first one fixed with DTT - have them replace the VB and send them the video. Its not shifting when it should - and thats on them as far as I see it. Then see where your at with the stall. :thumbup2: Whats DTT saying ?? I like the commentary - could feel your pain but was laughing at same time also !!

DTT keeps giving me the unintentional run around. I have send several emails with lists of videos, and spoke to their Technician, who told me i have no clue what your issue is, send me videos. I keep calling, but im waiting on an answer. I haven't touch my truck in a few days, i started her up today and everything was fine, I drove up to the g/f house truck and trans up to temp and not a single issue yet today, i expected it to stall out and it never did. She was even shifting like normal, Now the question is will it stay this way this afternoon as i have a boat to haul and put into the water. This sucks, but i have no other vehicles to use. I will report back on its functions.

DTT keeps giving me the unintentional run around. I have send several emails with lists of videos, and spoke to their Technician, who told me i have no clue what your issue is, send me videos. I keep calling, but im waiting on an answer.

Have you sent them a video - Id ring them up and ask to talk to tech whilst your on phone. Thats not shifting even at 2300 rpm ...... Get that fixed and then see where your stalling issue is at Be curious on a goerand VB ..... hmmmm

Have you sent them a video - Id ring them up and ask to talk to tech whilst your on phone. Thats not shifting even at 2300 rpm ...... Get that fixed and then see where your stalling issue is at Be curious on a goerand VB ..... hmmmm

i sent them all of the videos you see in this thread.

Maybe this has already been covered and I missed it but haveyou checked for chaffed or broken wires in the steering column? This sure does seem like an electricalproblem. Can you go from park to reverse?

le have thought of that, but i never rotate my steering collum, and the truck never moved from the time it stalled at costco. I still think this is a VB issue and that it has not been solved yet. If anything the high temperature sticking issue is definitely a VB sign.In other news i got an email from FixRite Auto care, (the company DTT went through for this) and they asked me for the cooler line pressures in both neutral and drive.

Well, i made it most of the last day and a half without a single issue, then today at random it stalled again going into drive.so the question is why was everything fine for a half a day, and then all the sudden its back.BTW its the same tank of fuel, nothing has changed, fuel filters are relatively new (under 500 miles on them.

• Staff

I've been following this thread before I drove on a trip up to the mountains. I was very surprised when my truck did the very same thing. I was miles from any town. I freaked and though I was stuck. It would not stop stalling the moment It went in gear, acting just like your trouble.I was parked on a hill so I restarted the truck for the third time but, let her roll backwards a little before putting it in reverse. This time she did not stall and after backing up I stopped with my foot on the brake and put it in drive. This time she did not stall either, even with a dead stop, brake on. This happened another time on the trip but let her roll and it went okay as before.It acts like the torque converter is locked up in idle and it makes the engine stall. Instead of the needed TC slippage you need to click into gear. It's like you have a automatic clutch that won't disengagev when it's supposed to. That's what it felt like to me. like the clutches get stuck together and won't slip like till you break it loose.Don't know if I have helped but, my truck is all stock, about 70k miles on it and it has not done it since for a few days now.

Well, since i last drive the truck (like 2 or 3 days ago), today i started the truck, put it into gear and rove it over 200 miles today stopping all over the place, trans temp never got above 160. and not a single stalling issue what so ever....

however, i have noticed ever more so that around 30mph, my truck shuttle shifts back and fourth from 3-2-3. why the truck is running in 3rd (and locked up)at 30 mph is beyond me, heck when i drive it goes 1-2 right into 3. There is no 2nd gear usually. I can tell when it will do it because it holds 2nd gear for once. the truck shifts into 2 at 15 mph, into 3rd at 18-25, i wouldn't mind if it held 2nd until i got back up to 2,000 or so which is 30mph. I can't even lock out 3rd by shifting the truck to manual 2 because even in O/D OFF now it still shifts into 3red, if in manual 2.

I have my suspects but right now i think this 2-3-2-3 shuttle shifting is now a worn VB or valves that are to small, that are causing fluid to get between them in the bores.

once again, same tank of fuel, and nothing has changed, hell the weather is colder then it was a week ago.Posted Image

Well, I just got off the phone with Stephan, and they have a new set of valves for me to test out, apparently there is another guy who has the same issues.

I drove the truck today all over, put another 70 miles on her, and no stalling issues until i parked it at the G/f;s house. I even got the trans up into the 180-200F range and didn't have the side loading either. And the trans also shifted longer between 2 and 3rd.

Then at the g/fs i parked it for maybe 30-45mins then when i went to back up to leave it stalled, second time it went right in, then going into drive to pull away again it stalled.

Im looking forward to the valves that are coming. We shall see how it goes together.

Well, this has taken a interesting turn. I was on the parkway heading south and in order to avoid an accident i had to drop the pedal to the floor, immediately after when i went to get back onto the pedal it was very stiff to move. Now as a basis comparison i usually drive with my big toe if i want to add some pep, and the throttle responds with just a toe. However the pedal was so stiff that even my whole foot on the pedal it was hard to move.Now i then got off the exit, and came to a stop and made a right. Upon acceleration the truck had no 1-2 shift, so i put it in Neutral then back into drive, and it shifted to 2nd gear. and rode 2nd gear all the way up, until i once again shifted to neutral and back into drive. This gave me my 2-3 shift.It almost acts like the throttle vale (or what ever the TV cable attaches to), is stuck in a position or something.Here is the video from that.Now, once i shifted it to neutral and left it there for a few seconds at the traffic light the truck was fine, back into drive no stalling however the pedal was now once again easy to move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H57IvRMEWqo

So now last night i decided to try and repeat what happened, by getting on the parkway. I did a almost WOT run getting onto the parkway, and then got off the next exit and the truck did it again. So i then shot this series of videos to show you. you can clearly see where the truck shifted normally, and also had a soft pedal, after getting on the parkway the truck had a hard pedal, and upon exiting the parkway i had rough shifting again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHHtU4M0LWo&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7aNuce-Ig8

After shutting the truck off i then tested by foot, and the pedal was no longer stiff.This is not the first time i have had a stiff pedal, it has happened when i have been towing boats a while ago. I just never associated the two before. I was towing a 5,000lbs boat and got into the throttle about 50-60% of the way to get it moving onto the parkway here, and it was stiff, after that, but then again it was all cruising around here after that, i set the cruise control, and drove the boat for the next hour down south to where it had to go. about an hour later the pedal was no longer stiff.It is interesting to note that the truck does this, but it also does it only when the trans temp gets above 180, usually closer to 200F, or in stop and go traffic.I called DTT, and spoke to Shanti who even admitted that didn't seem right, so tomorrow i have an appointment to talk to bill over the phone and she said that he and i are going to do some line pressure testing to see what is going on.The problem is my truck is once again in a hundred parts, i have two doors drying after getting them the chit beat out fo them, (rust removal), and paint job, and my dashboard is apart as well.I'm hoping to have them all back together by lunch time tomorrow so bill and i can line pressure test.

So since we last talked i have been busy i pulled the doors, stripped them repainted them, rust treatment and all.... Any anyways.Well today i went out with my brother, and Bill @ DTT and did some line pressure testing.The bad news is the valve body is coming out. I had ) psi for line pressure reading until the trans locked up, and with that i also got 40psi at 35mph (od off in lock up), a whopping 67.5 psi at 45mph, and 90 at 80mph.All were to low. My middle port line pressures were 60psi at idle, regardless of anything tried.So bill said to take out the valve body then give him a call back.

With input from my thread on the CF several people have stated i should drop the trans and send it to them for a "once" over. What are your ideas guys? is it worth it to do that?Anyways,I'll speak to bill and see what he says. I have the pan dropped, and im working on dropping the Valve Body tomorrow. Im exhausted and frustrated.Talk about a blind rage i was in, i am so pissed off at the mechanical shop that did the trans install, as i blame them for this. If i could go back in time i would have pulled the truck and then hoped to have installed it right the first time.If bill and them will take the trans back and give it a once over, i will put out a feeler on the NJ Cummins forum on FB for a few guys who can help out.I cannot curse, but every other word in this post was a curse, im just so pissed off because i feel like the odds a DTT sent a lemon trans are must less likely, then say the PATS Automotive who i feel secretly screwed with my trans in the hopes it would fail.

With input from my thread on the CF several people have stated i should drop the trans and send it to them for a "once" over. What are your ideas guys? is it worth it to do that? Anyways,I'll speak to bill and see what he says. I have the pan dropped, and im working on dropping the Valve Body tomorrow. Im exhausted and frustrated. Talk about a blind rage i was in, i am so pissed off at the mechanical shop that did the trans install, as i blame them for this. If i could go back in time i would have pulled the truck and then hoped to have installed it right the first time. If bill and them will take the trans back and give it a once over, i will put out a feeler on the NJ Cummins forum on FB for a few guys who can help out. I cannot curse, but every other word in this post was a curse, im just so pissed off because i feel like the odds a DTT sent a lemon trans are must less likely, then say the PATS Automotive who i feel secretly screwed with my trans in the hopes it would fail.

Dunno man. Basically it just sucks.Only thing is - the DTT valve body was a prebought unit right ? So if bill is having you send the VB back - then its looking like a DTT issue not the tranny shop. Unless it was just parts and they did the actual VB work.Id get the VB checked adn back into the truck. Work out whos fault it is and then work with that shop or DTT to get the rest fixed or recoup some funds with root cause known. Only other issue could be leaky tranny (seals/clips and not the VB. Then bill will know after testing and you can take it up with teh shop and send to bill for once over then.

Yea they built it, along with the whole trans, i simply picked it up, and took it to pats.I got off the phone with bill a little bit ago, and he said that at this point the VB has to go back to DTT. The only oddity is that all of the valves are grey inside, i though they should have been black? I did get my billeted internals, (servo and what not), but the valves are throwing me off.I really wish Mike would answer his phone, where is the hell is he:banghead: He would love to hear about this mess im in......Good news is since the truck will be down for a week or more, im going to continue to do resto mod work.:tease: Head studs, boost elbow, and more rust warfare are in my future.