• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Double cardan joint grease

Well damn. I had the shaft rebuilt at fleet pride a few years ago.  I would have thought they'd put a greaseable 1 in but I guess not.  Thanks for the response. 

13 hours ago, Lund1990 said:

had the shaft rebuilt at fleet pride a few years ago.  I would have thought they'd put a greaseable 1 in but I guess not.

I assume you talking about the driveshaft from the transfer case to the front axle.  Has that driveshaft failed in some way?  If not, I recommend re-installing the driveshaft and don't worry about it.

Two weeks ago I pulled my non-serviceable front drive shaft for inspection.  All joints were working smoothly.  I re-installed it.  It has logged over 380,000 miles.

I used to be a believer that non-serviceable u-joints had shorter life spans, and maybe they did 30 years ago.  Since then, I have learned that there is a lot more that goes into an OEM non-serviceable u-joint - mainly the triple lip seals that keep the grease in, and the dirt and moisture out.

- John

Edited by Tractorman

I'm able to grease all 3 u joints in the shaft just not the ball and socket. With the salt like, Mopar1973man mentioned, it eats up joints. Plus with the hell I put this truck thru occasionally, just think it makes more sense to be able to grease it. Now on my 2004 I wouldn't be as concerned because that basically just my camper/Trailer hauler. 

• Like 1