• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looks like it's time for an alternator

• Staff

Fired up the truck this morning to go to the tire shop for 4 new tires on the rear axle, got 1 mile down the road and the "check gauges" light lit up. Voltage low on instrument cluster. Thought maybe the 150amp breaker tripped in the charge lead. Nope, it was fine. Turned around and went back home. Pit a voltage meter to the stud on the back of the alternator and she read 12.8v. I guess it's time. Ugh!!!

If it isn't one thing it's another! 

• Staff

Ugh, I'll be honest. I didn't check any of that and I never got the pcm protect fuse installed. I know the alternator was only putting out 12.5 volts, if that was output. It could have been battery voltage. No 14v present so I ordered up an alternator.  The truck is my daily and need it back. At the moment I'm stuck using my dad's mustang. Talk about 10lbs of taters in a 5lbs bag! Man those cars are small!

• Staff

New alternator is now installed. She's alive!!!

Removed the old one and spun the pulley and the bearings seem nice and smooth. Had a conversation with @Mopar1973Manyesterday, I think I will rebuild the original with new brushes and regulator, clean it up and stock it on the shelf for a spare. Never hurts to have apare parts!

• Like 3