• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tapping noise after engine warms up?

Adding the 2-stroke oil did seem to quiet the engine down some. You guys are right about the valve adjustment too. The ticking noise is coming from the top end of the motor....i can almost hear it right underneath the valve cover....i haven't pulled the cover off to check them....i got to get a feeler gauge first....weird thing is that this truck has 40,000 miles on it.....i've seen where some people said in DTR forums that they had to do theirs way earlier too, but i think it was mostly on the 3rd gens.....hopefully the ticking will go away after the adjustment....Thanks for the help.....

i ran the valves last fall(about 165k miles) and set them at .010 on intake and .020 on exhaust. after fixing a loose rocker bolt, i ran them again(~195k) and set them at .007 intake and .017 on the exhaust. the power is smoother and comes on lower in the RPM range. i don't have a boost gauge, but i felt like the turbo wasn't spooled until 1800-1900RPM. it feel like it "lights" at 1600 RPMs. they were all wider then .010 on intake and .020 on exhaust when i ran them this last time :2cents: read more here: http://forum.mopar1973man.com/showthread.php/2923-runnin-the-valves?p=23211#post23211

• 3 months later...

Definately do all the 2 stroke and valve adjustment - its FREE. Then if you put your ear to the AIR INTAKE (BHAF ?) ........ if its really loud and more of a 'tick' than a 'light thud' - then it most definately could be a head/valve issue. I had my exhaust valves fixed and head machined back to the tune of $1k ........ sucks :moon:

don't mean to bring up an old thread, but i had a question about something you said.....you mentioned that you can tell if you have a problem with the valves if you put your ear up to the air intake & listen.....it's normal to hear more of a thud sound than a tick? is that correct?

don't mean to bring up an old thread, but i had a question about something you said.....you mentioned that you can tell if you have a problem with the valves if you put your ear up to the air intake & listen.....it's normal to hear more of a thud sound than a tick? is that correct?

That's my laymen description. I had an annoying loud tick that wasn't normal. When ear by air intake it was very loud and apparent. Now it's fixed you can hear the valves as less of a tick and more of a soft thud as they open/close ;)

That's my laymen description. I had an annoying loud tick that wasn't normal. When ear by air intake it was very loud and apparent. Now it's fixed you can hear the valves as less of a tick and more of a soft thud as they open/close ;)

ok, thanks. i was just curious about what you were hearing before you got yours fixed.....i am hearing a thud when i put my ear to my air box on mine so guess it's a good sound.....thud seems to get a little louder after the truck warms up but not a whole lot.....

i just started a new thread on my problem that sounds like it started out where yours is at...did u end up fixing it with the valve adjustment? i started to a few weeks ago but got too annoyed after i spent half hour with no success taking the cover off.