• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P1693 to pdone to coughing and puff of black smoke then white when warm...

Well, I was going to take my truck in today to have the codes read because I had the p1693 companion code. To review, I started another thread about my truck choking out on the highway, where I could power through it or back off and it would go away. Then my batteries died and after installing the new ones the truck seemed to run great! Now to my new issue... Towed my rock truck to an event this weekend and the truck only "choked" a little on the way up. Coming back I had to drag my buddies trailer back. 40 foot gooseneck with two buggies on it. I'm guessing 16,000 pounds. Truck was running great, went to lay into the throttle going up a hill and holy cow I thought my truck was going to shake itself in half and break apart. Same symptons as before, I could power through it or lay off the throttle and it would go away. This happened in OD and out of OD. So I took it easy the rest of the way home because everytime I would get into the throttle this shaking, choking, thing would happen. Well, made it back to town and after unhooking decided to do the key trick. I got a pdone no more p1693. ( maybe my new batteries had something to do with this.) I fired up the truck and then stomped the pedal, in park, to hear my exhaust bounce of my buddies concrete wall.:thumbup2: about 1500 RPMS it went pah, pah, choke, stutter, vroom. :shrug: Sorry no other way to explain it. Did it a couple of more times and the same thing happened. I also noticed when this happened I would get a puff of black smoke followed by white smoke. If I steadily pressed the accelerator pedal it wouldn't miss a beat and rev all the way to 3K with no issues. But, as soon as I stomped it hard it would choke and do all the other stuff as it was in the 1500rpm range. I started the truck this morning and tried to repeat the problem and coudn't get it to repeat the problem. Got to work and tried it after the truck warmed up and the symptoms were there again, stomp the pedal, choking, cough, pah pah, vrroom, black smoke then white smoke and still showing a pdone code. Help!!!! Sorry for the long post but don't know how else to describe it. So what do you think is happening or worst yet happened?

Key trick doesn't pull from both computers on a 2000. Go to a parts store and get the codes read again. The 1693 is telling us there is at least one more code!

I uderstand that. I am no longer getting the 1693 code, just pdone. I am thinking that putting in new batteries had something to do with that. My main concern is the choking out and now the white smoke after the black smoke.

The video above... P-PCU --------- P0500 --------- P Done --------- P ECU --------- P1693 --------- P Done Take notice there is 2 computers PCM (first) and the ECM (second)... So a single P Done means you got half the codes...:rolleyes:

So how is this done? I have done the KO/KO trick to my tuck for years and never have I seen two P done messages. AM I doing something wrong?

• Owner

2002 is the only year that works absolutely right on... 2001 is most of the time doesn't work right at all... Now I'm seeing a few 2000 trucks I wonder if they happen to be later model kind of like the cross over point to the 2001 model? :shrug: But if the odometer is not displaying like above then you need to use a code reader.

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally went and had the codes pulled. (moved a couple of weeks ago and had not had time to get it in) NOTHING! That's right nothing came up. I even had the tech show me the pcm and ecm , no codes thrown. Truck still has the same symptoms. :banghead::banghead::banghead: Looking back I towed a heavy load of wood to the new house, started doing the vibrating choking thing with this load. I didn't have a good run at a hill and crawled up it. Tranny wasn't slipping but it wasn't happy when I got to the top, almost pegged the temp gauge. I don't know just throwing all info out there to figure this thing out. About the only good note I did get 22 miles to the gallon, empty, coming back from Utah a couple of weeks ago. I was only doing 60-65. That was nice!