• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Block Heater just Fried

Went out this morning so I could get the truck all nice and warm before I pulled the trailer today and the GFI kept tripping. I ohmed out the connections and everything was fine so I said the hell with it, stuck it in a regular outlet and heard a bzzzzzzzrrrrrrrrrrt. Pulled it out of the outlet and it looked fine. Traced it back to truck which smelled like burnt rubber but couldn't find anything burnt, maybe it just didn't look burnt enough. The elements were at the right ohms and everything so I don't see how they shorted unless it was the ground shorting to the hot or something. Anyhow, I probably need a new one and new cord. Probably this heater http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3975628 And this cord http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HEATER_CABLE_FL Hmm, that was cheaper than I thought it would be. I have heard rumors floating around that I can use an 8.3 block heater, is that true? I really just want something other than the 750, was thinking a 1000W one would be nice.

• Like 1

• Owner

What I've found on a few the sock of the heater or the actual plug build up some oxidation and get a hot spot that will burn the cord. So like mine would make the plug so warm the plastic was doughy. So I pull the pull and took some light sand paper and clean the pins of the plug and hooked it back up and it nice and cool. As for the Geno's Heaters jump on them! That a excellent price. Being the last time I bought a heat element for a Dodge at NAPA was ~$120 excluding the cord... :spend:

I need to run some more tests. Everything ohms out fine but after it starts drawing a load something arcs. I need a megger or something. For now I will just take the cord off and ohm it and see what's going on.

After going out and messing with it I found out it pulls out. The 2 pins keep it from turning.But, looks like I will be buying both :banghead: The pin on the element is all fried/melted same with the cord.

post-45-138698173151_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698173157_thumb.jpg

Here is the NAPA replacement... [ATTACH=CONFIG]2189[/ATTACH] I highly suggest you get the Geno's for the cheaper price... :smart:

I ordereed a spare cord and block heater element tonight, along with an engine barring tool and a few other goodies. :thumbup2: