• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone Do This In Really Cold Weather?? 4x4 Only

dorkweed

I read about a few guys that do this on another site. I was wondering if anyone here does it. It makes sense to me, but I'd like the majority opinion from y'all!!!In really cold weather, they start their trucks, and then put the transfer case in Neutral. They then put the tranny in Drive, or if a manual in "direct".......4th or 5th depending on your tranny type. They claim it helps warm the truck a bit faster if you don't have an EB. I can definitely see how it would help a manual tranny warm up a bit.So what do you's guys think about it??

• Staff

Its funny I have been driving 4wd trucks since I was 12 and had never even thought of it until I read about it a few days ago. I don't for one minute buy that it will do anything to increase the coolant temp any faster (at least at a worth while rate), but I do beleive it will help warm the trans and may get better shifting on a manual. I don't think I would try this on an auto thou. Have you ever put a auto in D with the xcase in N, then tried to get the xcase back in gear without shutting the motor off? I have done it, and have never had it work. I am going on a hunting trip next month and it will probably be COLD, I may give this a shot.

I do this on my Dakota. Can't say the engine warms up any faster. However the transmission is a bear to shift when first started cold on a 0-20 degree day (5-speed) and it certainly seems to shift much better after running for about 5-10mins like this. :smart:I have been told that idling a 24-valve in below freezing weather is a recipe for disaster. Something about the heads running too cool in this weather. So I just start my Ram and wait for the oil pressure to stabilize then head off. After being on the highway for about 5mins I have 180*f.

• Staff

I was elk hunting the last 3 days and the temps were about 0 every morning and I did this just to give it a shot. And it does help the trans shift easier sooner. I don't think it added much load to the motor but even just 1 minute in 5th gear made a difference.