• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Heater Blower Issue

Hi Guys,I've been experiencing problems w/ my heater blower not working. I don't know if this may have anything to do w/ it at all or not, in the mornings when I'm hooked up to my horse trailer all accessories are running no fan on any setting. In the afternoon it just seems to start working after I drive for a bit, 20 mins. or so.I've tried it w/o any lights on when this happens in the mornings but nothing. Where/what should I check?Thanks,Dave

that's perplexing, as I'm sure you agree. I wonder if it's not something with a contraction of metal + cold (loose connector, cold solder joint, etc.)Have you looked at / reseated the blower connector at the resistor box (on the fan housing itself, in the pass. floorboard, between the blower fan and firewall) and/or the HVAC controller in the dash?I'd start there, reseating the connectors (unplug, reconnect), then see if there's a change. I'll continue to think about this one.My wife's old Saab 9-5 wouldn't turn the fan on until there was a little temp built up in the coolant, but that was only on 'auto temp' mode.. My '01 and '96 Rams turn on when I want them, so I know that's not the situation here...

sometimes it sticks, especially when its a bit worn out.when it was last working did it sound kinda clunky, maybe making a rat a tat sound?would it kick on randomly as you went over a bump? or if you take your palm and smack the bottom of it will it start going? generally this would be indicative of worn bearings and the brushes going out. the rat a tat sound you might here are the brushes arcing as the motor tries to spin.banging the bottom causes the spindle to hop slightly out of the worn bearings allowing it to spin a little more freely.you can use a punch to bend the tabs holding the motor closed and even dress up the commutator and brushes a bit with a file and some sort of lathe, (i used my drill press as a vertical lathe) it will keep you going for another year or two depending on how much of a run is left on the brushes.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,Thanks for the things to check out, at least I have somewhere to start. No bearing problem here, the fan was really quiet. I'm wondering if it's the contacts in the main switch itself on the dash? How would I check that? Luckily I don't drive her much now during the winter, she's in the garage out of the snow & away from the salt.Thanks,Dave

dave hello from Ohio great to finally see someone else from the buckeye state on here. Ok now that the pleasantries are outta the way .....if you havent already done this i would suggest pulling the relay down from the side of the blower motor and look at it mine was completly shot and needed replaced ....not sure if this will help or not ..it did how ever work for me.:shrug: