• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

OPTI-LUBE Summer Blend

capj

Have any of you guys tried the Opti-Lube Summer Blend ?

It is ranked # 4 in "The Test".

I have been using 2-cycle exclusively for many, many, many miles now. :thumbsup [Thanks Mike & Dorkweed]

But I got to studying the chart again and it finally dawned on my 'old' mind that the Opti-Lube Summer Blend would actually be cheaper to use and actually showed better results than the 2 cycle.

I do realize the two cycle was tested at a 200:1 ratio, while I use a 128:1 ratio.

The Opti-Lube at a 3000:1 ratio would be much cheeper than the 2 cycle at a 128:1 ratio..

What do you guys think ?

Any down side to using it instead of 2 cycle??

Please be honest, you ain't gonna hurt my feelings......... LOL

The above is not a trick question.

I am totally satisfied with Wally World Super Tech 2 cycle outboard in the blue gallon jug.

This is simply a question based on economics. IF the Opti-Lube will do the same or better job than the 2 cycle it would be much cheaper to use.

But, will it do the job??

The "TEST" results says it will.... what do you guys say ? :thumbsup

Thanks in advance...... :thumbsup :)

chuck

• Owner

If it available for a good price go for it... There has been some serious discussion on the MSDS contents of the Opti-Lube series though. Over on CF.com they got a bit carried away but the point is that MSDS sheets are suppose to be completel ingredient listing of all HAZMAT's. So if this true the Opti-Lube contains a lot of solvent based materials. As ofr what the lubricant truely is I'm not sure. I'm not had the chance to get a hold of a MSDS on either porduct and review it. But from the HFRR testing it seems to prove itsself quite well... :thumbsup

If it available for a good price go for it...

There has been some serious discussion on the MSDS contents of the Opti-Lube series though. Over on CF.com they got a bit carried away but the point is that MSDS sheets are suppose to be completel ingredient listing of all HAZMAT's. So if this true the Opti-Lube contains a lot of solvent based materials. As ofr what the lubricant truely is I'm not sure. I'm not had the chance to get a hold of a MSDS on either porduct and review it. But from the HFRR testing it seems to prove itsself quite well... :thumbsup

Thanks Mike.

I have read the MSDS for Opti-Lube. But... I am not quite sure what I am looking at.... :confused:

However, the way I read it.... it does appear to have a lot of solvent based stuff in it.

Here is a link to the MSDS ...... http://opti-lube.com/XPD%20MSDS.pdf

Please check it out when you have time and report back.

Even though the HFRR Test showed real good...I am sticking with the 2 cycle until the "solvent question" is more clear or answered. I don't want to screw up.. :nono :D

Have a good one.............. :thumbsup

PS / I just realized that the MSDS is for the Opti-Lube XPD... :confused .. The one I was going to use was Summer Blend. However I find no MSDS for it.

The more I read the more confused I get............... lol ......... :confused: :thumbsup :D

• Owner

I've got a funny thought that Opti-lube uses some sort of Veggie base oil for lubricant... I can't explain why it ranks so high and has a listing of so many solvent based chemicals. But remember that only hazardous materials but be listed. So veggie oils is consumable so it doesn't have to be listed... But that's my theory on that... :confused:

• 1 month later...

I've used both Stanadyne and XPD since the change in fuel. Stanadyne until the test came out showing the excellent results of XPD. I purchased 3 gal. of XPD and have used most of 2 gal. The XPD caused more noise than Stanadyne and also a slight loss of MPG. No improvement in response. Both are spendy. I tried and have switched to 2 cy oil in my 03, less noise, smoother and more response. At the suggested ratio of 200:1and at $11 a gal at Walmart, a 25 gal fill with 16 oz., cost $1.37 of 2 cy oil. Stanadyne was about $2.50-$3 a fill and XPD about the same or more at the winter ratio, about the same as 2 cy at the summer blend. Now my 2 cy result were with a ratio of 128:1 and some XPD remaining in the tank, only 2 tanks so far, so I do not know what noise, smoothness, or response will be at the reduced 200:1 ratio, next tank. Here's a story that made me nervous of XPD. One of the gal jugs cracked and began seeping, so I poured the remaining XPD onto an empty Howes fuel treatment jug, about a qt. The next day I noticed a puddle of fluid around the Howes jug. Thinking I had spilt some down the side when filling the jug I picked up the jug and it went to mush in my hands. The XPD had destroyed the container in one day, wow, yes it's a solvent. It was too late for rubber gloves as now my hand were covered. I washed and washed and washed, rubbered up, safety glasses and poured the XPD into glass, called for an MSDS that came with in minutes, very good service. Reading the MSDS, yup this stuff scares the crap out of me, got some killer stuff I don't want on me. But all these chemicals we use have stuff I don't want on me or in me(through the skin) including 2 cy oil, reg oil, grease, none of it. This stuff ain't the same lube's and oil's I grew up with and used to have up to my elbows, they're now all real chemicals and dangerous. Rubber gloves and safety glasses are my rule when servicing my truck. I don't even let diesel fuel get on my hands, I use paper towels at the pump and I always wash after fueling.