• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Parking Brake / Emergency Brake Frozen!

Well got up this morning to park the trailer and the E Brake is frozen and will not release... I got it to roll but brakes make a ungawdly sqeaking noise backing up. So I got the truck in the shop and I'm going to rip into the rear axle and see whats going on..

horrifically you reminded me of Christmas eve 1997. trucker woke up at a truck stop started up the truck and just went for it. he drug the trailer 20 miles. so driving a tow truck me and my business partner at the time were called out to give this guy a hand. he blew out 4 drive tires and was hauling a 60k load. so I would up laying on the ice with many road flares trying to thaw the drums till the pads could break free. I will never look at a canary yellow Peterbuilt the same ever again. given the weather I would venture a guess that you got some ice binding it up

• Owner

Well I got one side tore apart and found basically a drum full of mud/dirt so I'm going to say the mud was what froze/bound up the parking brakes. But I'm going over it completely cleaning everything and getting the dirt/debris out if it all... On other other side of the coin I don't think I'm going to make 200K on my brake pads... Getting rather thin... :rolleyes:

Well I got one side tore apart and found basically a drum full of mud/dirt so I'm going to say the mud was what froze/bound up the parking brakes. But I'm going over it completely cleaning everything and getting the dirt/debris out if it all... On other other side of the coin I don't think I'm going to make 200K on my brake pads... Getting rather thin... :rolleyes:

still quite the run on a set of pads

This happens to the dakota all the time. I even told you about it, when I had to put it in 4LO and 1st gear and step on it and then you get a big BANG since the discs are froze to the pads. I never set my e-brake in the winter if I can help it. When your wheels are full of snow and your brakes get hot when your stopping, say your stopping for your driveway..now you have melted snow all over your brake pads (some people call it "water") and obviously it just freezes everything. Happens all the time with the dakota, though hardly with my dodge, must be a disc brake thing. Hmm, reading your posts I can't figure it out, did the trailer or your truck freeze up? You say drums so I assume trailer, which throws out my disc brake theory :doh:

• Owner

Ummm... The parking brakes on the all wheel disc brake are a drum setup. So inside the hub of the rotor is a mini drum brake setup. Yes my passenger side was frozen yesterday at one stop or another. :duh: There was a few hot spots in the face of the drum I had to fix. But the shoes where fine except you can see how the drag heat effected the face of the shoes. I'm thinking its a cable problem more so... But still looking stuff over... I should of grab my camera and shot a few pics...:doh: I'll see what I can do about it...

Ummm... The parking brakes on the all wheel disc brake are a drum setup. So inside the hub of the rotor is a mini drum brake setup. Yes my passenger side was frozen yesterday at one stop or another. :duh: There was a few hot spots in the face of the drum I had to fix. But the shoes where fine except you can see how the drag heat effected the face of the shoes. I'm thinking its a cable problem more so... But still looking stuff over... I should of grab my camera and shot a few pics...:doh: I'll see what I can do about it...

I want a pic of this internal drum!

• Owner

Here you go gang... Pics of the read disc brakes disassembled... Tire removed...post-2-138698175486_thumb.jpg Caliper removed... (2 bolts)post-2-138698175479_thumb.jpg Caliper frame remove (2 bolts)post-2-138698175457_thumb.jpg Rotor Drum removed (loosen parking brake adjuster and slide off)post-2-138698175467_thumb.jpg Inside drumpost-2-138698175515_thumb.jpg Parking brake adjusterpost-2-138698175507_thumb.jpg Back of axlepost-2-138698175501_thumb.jpg Lower cam lever and return spring.post-2-138698175492_thumb.jpg Full assembly.post-2-138698175472_thumb.jpg

I was able to drive the CTD with the front brakes so rusted... expanded edges fragged on the caliper frame. Truck drove fine. MPG sucked. Dealer state inspected & checked out my poor & falling mpg complaint. It passed inspection & the repair slip said "no codes". Much later a old school garage found it... I've also had the e brake cable Y adjuster rust completely off.

Yeah the little drums are so cute!!:lmao: But as for them freezing, that's fairly common. Water gets in there and freezes up over night. One thing that seems to help is not have the brake set real tight. My VWs used to do that a lot and sometimes my Mom's Mazda does it. My Cummins hasn't done it too much, just a little the other day. A little movement up and back and they unfroze. Now I remember now to tighten it anymore than I have to.:thumb1:

Try putting white lithium grease around where the cable goes into the protective sheaths without the PB applied then apply the PB this should keep water from getting into the cable.

Also anytime you park your truck in the winter and you use your PB you run the chance of the shoes freezing to the drums when they cool down.

This happened to me at a Kentucky truck stop when I was driving truck one time. Cost me $180 :mad: to have the guy bring the torches out to the fuel inland and thaw the brakes out. The owner of the trucking company told me "I bet you don't do that again" to which i said nope I'll just let the rig roll down the hill :lmao:. He found my comment about as funny as I found his :rolleyes:.

BTW Mike if I had a dollar for every time I missed that blinking "BRAKE" light I could have paid for my brake job :doh:.

Don