• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Mileage Record!!!

dorkweed

Let me preface by saying that I didn't use the whole tank of fuel before figuring the mileage I got for this tank. That said, I filled up with 388.5 miles on the tank and the fuel gauge had just hit straight up/half tank!!! For me if I can get 300 miles before the gauge reads straight up/half tank, I'm in the 19mpg range. However, this tank of fuel seemed to be really, really good. No work trailer towing on this one either. All suburban/short country driving jaunts where the speeds averaged 35-55mph. The hand calculated MPG for this tank of fuel was 21.6mpg and I really overfilled the tank too, so true mileage may have been a touch better than that. Filled her right to the top of the neck!! I'm really pleased with that!!!The only thing different is that I took the Edge Juice w/Attitude totally off my truck. I'd been driving it around set to stock and using the attitude monitor as some extra gauges, but I want to see if I can sell it since I'm not really using it since I got the Smarty. In essence all that does is get rid of the "piggy backed" connections at the injectors and MAP sensor......so I dunno?? So could that be it???? I don't care though......maybe my truck is finally getting "broke in" with 97,000 miles on it now!!!! LOL

• Owner

Well you know the Cummins engine is good for a million miles so yeah you just got started breaking it in... She'll really come to life around 200K miles... LOL Hmmm... So the Smarty has really done you good so far... I'm glad to see you pushed pasted the 21 mark and heading up... For todays economy and such you going to need every ounce you can muster up... :thumbsup

I hope it's good for a Million miles, because then I'd never have to buy another vehicle until they spread my ashes somewhere!!!! LOL What I didn't mention in the original post was that it's been fairly warm here the last week......or at least since I filled the last time!! Normally it's in the 20-30's for highs........but it's been 40-60's here the last 4-5 days. All of our snow is gone and it's a sloppy mess out in the yard now. In fact, it's raining here now, and my sump pump is working overtime down in my crawl space!!!! Anyhow, my truck is running real well right now. I'm using 2 stroke at 1/2oz per 1gal of diesel. Even when we had the -20's, I didn't add anything to my fuel except 2 stroke oil!!!! When it gets really cold, my Walbro lift pump still pumps fuel, although the pressure goes up. Normally my Walbro runs at about 25-26psi.........when it get really cold, my gauge will be pegged at the bottom which it 30psi. Thicker fuel and trying to push that thicker fuel through 2 fuel filters!!!Anyhow, with this warm spell, I've really noticed that my truck is decidedly very warm blooded. Once it gets below 10 degrees, I can feel it in the truck. And my truck is garage kept too!!! I know, I'm anal........but so be it!!! LOL

• Owner

LOL Well this winter my truck got both good and bad... I left it outy in the winter cold several times... Like tonight is suppose to get down to 11*F. Then other times I feel sorry for it and put it in the unheated shop at about 40*F. I was plugging in the truck but my truck been sitting more that driving so the power bill was going up. So this winter the truck got a cold shoulder. The best part is she is still preforming really well. As for MPG's it been low. mostly because of my driving style has changed (heavy foot) and short trips are really common. But as summer gets here the performance will improve like usual... :thumbsup

im a little upset about the mileage im gettin' with my 110's. . .i always got 20+ with stock injectors, but that's cuz my driving style was TO GET good mileage. most i've ever seen is 22.5 hand calc'd, but i usually got 20-21. now i get 15-18. . .i thought i'd be able to contain myself and get decent mileage. . . .i was very wrong. if i did it over i'd get some small injectors, maybe some 40's or somethin and a tst comp box to stack with my edge. i think the only way for me to get good mileage would be to have a setup that i could turn right the hell off while i'm just drivin.

• 4 weeks later...

Let me preface by saying that I didn't use the whole tank of fuel before figuring the mileage I got for this tank. That said, I filled up with 388.5 miles on the tank and the fuel gauge had just hit straight up/half tank!!! For me if I can get 300 miles before the gauge reads straight up/half tank, I'm in the 19mpg range. However, this tank of fuel seemed to be really, really good. No work trailer towing on this one either. All suburban/short country driving jaunts where the speeds averaged 35-55mph. The hand calculated MPG for this tank of fuel was 21.6mpg and I really overfilled the tank too, so true mileage may have been a touch better than that. Filled her right to the top of the neck!! I'm really pleased with that!!! The only thing different is that I took the Edge Juice w/Attitude totally off my truck. I'd been driving it around set to stock and using the attitude monitor as some extra gauges, but I want to see if I can sell it since I'm not really using it since I got the Smarty. In essence all that does is get rid of the "piggy backed" connections at the injectors and MAP sensor......so I dunno?? So could that be it???? I don't care though......maybe my truck is finally getting "broke in" with 97,000 miles on it now!!!! LOL

Lame... :smart I know a guy that gets 50mpg with his F-150 http://shadetreeconversions.com/ and that concludes my first post on this site...

I don't buy the 50mpg in a F-150 claim. The aerodynamics, mechanical drag, etc are all way to much for this. I read the site and it talks about cars in Europe getting such better gas mileage but the truth is most cars in Europe are diesels. VW marketed one of there diesels here that was similar to the unit used in Europe and it was known to get 45-52mpg, not far fetched for a 1.9l turbo diesel in a 3000# aerodynamic car. However to achieve the same mileage in a 4000+# F-150 with a gasoline engine is just absurd.

• Owner

Like myself...I've got 3 vehicles to play with that are evenly matched...1976 Dodge Motorhome, 360 CID / 5.9L Gasoline V8, Gross weight 8,500 gets about 11-12 MPG (Not very areodynamic)1996 Dodge 1500 360 CID / 5.9L Gasoline V8, Gross Weight 5,500 gets about 13-14 MPG, (Better areodynamics and lighter)2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins 360 / 5.9L diesel I6, Gross weight 7,900 gets about 17-23 MPG, (Heavy but the same areodynamics as the 1996)Not even my Goldwing passed the 50 MPG mark often... LOL So I know that that site is a fake... ;)

• 1 month later...

My 2002 has about 110,000 miles and gets 23-25 mph in mixed city and highway driving. Good friend of mine has several F250's and he was simply drooling over the mileage readouts in my Cummings. Seems that the best that he can get is 17-18 mpg in his truck so 50 mpg is pure dreaming.FT

I did an experiment with my last tank of fuel. About 2/3rd's of this tank was towing; but while driving, I would wind her up to 22-2400rpm's before shifting. I have to admit, it's a lot more "fun" to drive that way, but I got quite a bit poorer mileage. I averaged 17.1mpg to be exact........556.2miles on the tank, and 32.3xxgal to fill her up!!!! 8| Smarty on SW5 default settings. Still not bad considering where I live!!!! That tank also included 2 WOT 60mph to rev limit runs to blow the carbon/soot out of her and because I had a female jerkwad riding my *** in a Ford Focus. Couldn't see her headlights in my rear view mirror........so I gave her a light good soot job!!!!! Here's the best part..............after I slowed, she rode up on my *** again!!!!!! This time, I slowed a bit and then just stomped the throttle.......I didn't ease into like the first time. Talk about blotting out the highway and her in a BBCOS!!!!! LOL I slowed again after that one to see if she'd ride my *** again......she didn't!! B) B) I usually find that it's women that are the worst tailgaters!!!!!????? :confused:

• Owner

Like myself if I drive with the right frame of mind I can hit some good and high MPG numbers. But in other cases like yesterday driving to Station #2 which is 4 miles up a steep dirt road it tends to kill my MPG down to about 12-14 MPG for the day... `:( Dorkweed I see you use the same method of figuring out a tailgater... If some is so close I can no longer see you headlights this is my method of removal...1. First attempt I'm polite. I'll flip on and off my backup lights as a warning.2. Second attempt I'll just lay down on the hammer putting out just a mild to moderate haze.3. Third attempt I'll slow down just a bit trip the smoke switch and lay down the hammer... Blacking out the highway.Most people take the first warning... Women usually get the hint by 2nd try... Some pricks just don't get a clue... :rolleyes

I found out a way to get rid of tailgaters just by the way I drive LOL My truck has developed a lot of play in the steering and the tires sidewall have a lot of give so the truck goes all over the road, I used to hold on with both hands and keep it straight, but it got old really quick. Sooooo, I lean the seat way back, get comfortable, put one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, and let it do what it wants with me doing nothing but keeping it between the lines. It has the effect of inadvertently keeping people off my rear since I look like a drunk. Keeps people way over in the other lane on interstates too. >:)